To and From Construct and Regular Search?

dandennison

Is there a full equivalence in the feature set of Construct search versus regular command-oriented search?

If yes, it is possible to convert from one to the other?

Is it possible to e.g. search in one direction only in regular search?

context: http://accordancefiles2.com/helpfiles/OSX13/content/topics/06_braa/undrstnd_constrct_vs_srch.htm

In regular search, you can use <FOLLOWED BY> to create a directional search.

33 minutes ago, dandennison said:

Is there a full equivalence in the feature set of Construct search versus regular command-oriented search?

No there isn't as far as I know and certainly there are issues in command searches with respect to things like multiple FOLLOWED BY which lead to different results. I also don't know with syntax searches how you would represent elements within clauses as you can in a construct.

35 minutes ago, dandennison said:

If yes, it is possible to convert from one to the other?

Often, and for simple searches quite often. But not always ....

36 minutes ago, dandennison said:

Is it possible to e.g. search in one direction only in regular search?

context: http://accordancefiles2.com/helpfiles/OSX13/content/topics/06_braa/undrstnd_constrct_vs_srch.htm

With either FOLLOWED BY (as Mark says above) or PRECEDED BY

Thx

D

Ok, given this response, I think a reasonable feature request would be to put a visual search mode into the regular search bar, and do away entirely with the construct view.

Once you have that, a toggle button to go between the command search and visual search would be ideal.

My rationale for this, is editing a command searches in Hebrew texts is painful, because the text box wants to interpret my letters as accents or other gibberish. The hotkeys do help, but it makes for a very obtuse experience.

Edited by dandennison

I don't know what you mean by a "visual search mode" or how that would change the picture that much.

I also don't understand how you would integrate a drag and drop UI into the command line search box.

Could you elaborate a little ?

As to the issues with characters I have had some issues but generally not insurmountable, but I don't know exactly what to suggest without a concrete example or two.

Also, are you aware of the feature to create construct searches from a selection of text ? That can be a good way to get started with search construction.

Thx

D

• Like 2