Ruach Elohim/Adonay in ETCBC and HMT-W4

pbp

Peace!

I've created a simple construct, to find all the verbs with Ruach Elohim/Adonay as subject. I've noted that there is a substantial difference in the results between ETCBC and HMT-W4 versions, with the same construct. ETCBC reports 29 verses, while Holmsted (HMT-W4) only 25.
There are obvious cases as Judg 6,34 missing in ETCBC but present in HMT-W4 and viceversa, as for example 1Sam 11,4, which is present in ETCBC but not in HMT-W4. And several other similar cases.

Am I wrong in the building of the construct (see attach)?

Thank you

pbp

1498755103_ScreenShot2022-01-16at7_27_38.thumb.png.e05e7329469d3326531d65e10d52ac35.png

The accordance syntactic database for HMT has an underlying problem right now. A change to how ketiv/qere are treated in the morph text has not yet been incorporated in the syntax, so most searches will likely be quite inaccurate. I'm working on it and hope to have an update submitted next week.

• Like 2

Thank you! Waiting for your update, therefore.

Anyway, even with ETCBC the results are inaccurate. Probably I did something wrong in the construct. It was just a curiosity, anyway. I could easily find all the occurrences, since they are so few.

pbp

Sorry -- I didn't comment on your built search. One thing I note is that the "within 1" would exclude cases of ELOHIM with the article (i.e., HA'ELOHIM). 

Also, I recommend keeping the levels of depth to "1" for the first search and only after raising it above 1 -- this is simply my preference since it forces me to consider if I've built the search properly. Also, I would add the "subject" tag to in the column with RUACH, just in case there is an example in which the spirit is somehow an adjunct within a complex subject phrase instead of the subject itself. 

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I've been fixing the database and I think I've ironed out all but 2 small problems. I hope to submit the fixed database in a couple days.

In any case, the answer to your query is this dataset: Num. 24:2; Judg. 3:10; 6:34; 11:29; 13:25; 14:6, 19; 15:14; 1 Sam. 10:6, 10; 11:6; 16:13-14, 16, 23; 18:10; 19:9, 20, 23; 2 Sam. 23:2; 1 Kings 18:12; 22:24; 2 Kings 2:16; Is. 40:7; Ezek. 11:5; Mic 2:7; 2 Chr. 15:1; 18:23; 20:14; 24:20

And the way I built the search is shown below (including, though though not shown in the screenshot, the "search both directions" box checked):

1518475806_ScreenShot2022-02-06at9_23_19AM.thumb.png.9e90ac296cf5d15e5e2ed59385b3e978.png

• Like 1

Speechless. A big thank you, professor!

Greetings from Jerusalem

pbp

You're welcome. 

By the way, I discovered that if you set search depth to "0," the search is actually 100% accurate with the module update that will soon be released. For some reason, setting the search depth to "1" omits a couple hits. (??)

• Like 1

Reviewing you list, I've noticed that Is 11,2 is missing. And also Is 59,19 and Hos 13,15, which is a strange case (masculin).

I've already finish my study on that topic, but my question remains about the construct and if it really finds all what we search.
Blessings

pbp

The two Isa exx don't show up because I have not included Isaiah in the syntax module yet. I will examine the Hos 13.15 ex to see why.

-- looked at Hos 13.15 and it does not fit the search parameters, so would not be a hit. The phrase רוח יהוה is not directly the subject of any verb there. I take it as appositive to the subject קדים.

Edited by Robert Holmstedt