Research Tab giving totally random, false hits for Hebrew / Aramaic searches

TYA

I know I originally posted this in "Technical Support" which was probably a mistake.  Fresh (and fairly regular) instances of this to report (see example)

31392800_Captured2132.thumb.jpg.d6125b4ee3496c3dee628913a043eae7.jpg

• Like 1

Are you certain you have the latest versions of your Texts? For example, Fragment Targums should be version 2.4.

Hi Mark!  (70 degrees outside is nice :)  Yes, just updated all modules at your behest.  All are newest versions.  Closed and reopened Accordance.  Then "Rebuild Research Cache" in Preferences just for extra measure.  Closed and reopened Accordance.  Closed existing Research Tab window, and opened a brand new one.  Then searched the same word.  Same false hits again.  See attached please.

Captured 2137.jpg

Something definitely seems corrupt in your installation. I'm not seeing those results in Mac or Windows. I'd probably contact tech support, but you might want to try deleting all the modules that are giving you problems, restart Accordance in Safe Mode and select ALL the "Clean-up" options, then reinstall the modules you just deleted.

Thanks.  I may give it a go, but something about it doesn't sound so super appealing right now :)

• 2 weeks later...

but you might want to try deleting all the modules that are giving you problems

Mark: Feedback after nearly two hours of effort working on this (and note: I'm also sending this same exact response to R.M. at Tech Support, since you suggested I contact them), here is what I've discovered.  See attached image please.

Captured 2190.jpg

UPDATE 2:18AM - Houston, we've got a real problem.  Further investigation reveals that the Research Tab is fouling up Hebrew modules also, which I uninstalled / reinstalled at your advice.  And, here's what I've done to try and fix this. 1) Rebuild the Research Cache in Preferences; 2) Restart the computer; 3) Install the newest version of Accordance (13.3.2); 4) Restart computer again; 5) Rebuild the Research Cache; 6) Restart Accordance...

And the problem still persists.  Any Greek or Hebrew module that I've established default font settings in the Library (since, again, they were annoyingly lost during the reinstall process) shown in this newest image titled "TYA #2") now displays improperly (gibberish) in the Research Tab, as shown in both of these images.

So, following the initial advice to delete and reinstall modules indeed worked initially to eliminate false hits / results in the Research Tab, and also to correct gibberish characters in the Research Tab results, BUT in addition to the annoying side effects of having to recustomize Custom Groups and font settings, changing the font settings on the newly-reinstalled modules fouled them up all over again in the Research Tab, and none of my efforts have shown a way around this.

(Note: All this update is being sent in yet another email to R.M. at Tech Support).  Thanks Accordance Team for your help.  I know it isn't fun for anyone.  Also, I don't have Halo Infinite like Rick Mansfield does, so I don't have the option of giving up on Accordance and going to play that.  (Hmm... I think... I may have just stumbled... on the reason that... Accordance 14 hasn't been released yet!!!! :) )

TYA #2.jpg

Edited by TYA

Update 01-10-22: In addition to what I listed that I tried up above, I did also start Accordance in Safe Mode, and do all the clean-up options, as Mark A. specified.  There was no noticeable difference that I can recall.  However, I did thankfully find a workaround to the fact that all the texts were getting fouled up again in the Research Tab after doing a blanket change to their fonts in the Library.  The problem I described up above was caused by doing the blanket change to the font settings (say, for all Hebrew or Greek texts) in the Library, but I found that I could manually change the font settings for each and every module (though extremely time consuming), and this wouldn't cause the module to display improperly in the Research Tab results.

So, I spent about an hour going through and manually resetting the default display settings for about 50-70 modules.  Add this to the time loss described above, and what we have is that Accordance--out of absolutely nowhere (that I can think of, anyway)--just "broke down" and cost me about 4-5 hours of repair work.  Literally.  Just to get the program to work properly again, and with the desired font settings I want (which I've had to do this part 3-5 since version 13 came out, because Accordance keeps losing them somehow), I spent about 4-5 hours.  No fun.

By the way, doing the uninstall/reinstall module thing didn't fully fix this one module--TAD (Aramaic from Egypt).  Some verses display properly while others don't.  (Technically, that could have been the case also with other modules, but I didn't investigate).  See attached.

Thanks for any help, and please keep this random time waste from happening again.  Specifically, I see no reason that texts should suddenly stop displaying properly in the Research Tab search results, and I see no reason why Accordance should lose my font settings for foreign language texts (causing me to have to manually reinstate them one-by-one).

Accordance - two verses in this module are messed up in RT, but the rest are fine.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Sure hope this bug is being taken care of.  Just living this over again with one new module that I just installed.

• Like 1

I'm so sorry you've been having these issues. Have you been able to talk to a live tech support technician? I think you'll need someone take a look at your installation remotely.

Yes, Mark I have.  They referred me to your advice, which I have taken.  The good news is that I at least have a solution to get the texts to both 1) return valid search results in the Research Tab, and 2) not display as gibberish in the Research Tab results pane.  (This thread began with simply finding false search hits in the Research Tab, and then the problem grew into the results displaying as gibberish too.)  Again, I do have a solution, but it was just extremely time-consuming, as the whole process ended up taking 3-5 hours to rectify.

So, there's no urgent situation, so to speak.  But it's still a bug waiting to mess me up if I install a new module and forget not to use the Library to set the Default Text Display settings, which is why my last post above was pointing to.  I just installed a new module, and used the Library to set the default text settings, and then it displayed as gibberish in the Research tab.  I had to uninstall the module, reinstall it, and set the Default text settings in the module itself, and not in the Library.

You may ask, "So what?  What's the big deal about that?"  Since Accordance has had a habit of losing *all* my foreign language text settings (50-75 modules total) once overy 6 months or so (and randomly, with no obvious explanation behind it), I'd like to be able to multi-select (or mass-select) the modules in the Library to reestablish the desired display settings quickly, versus doing it one-by-one, which takes about an hour of robotic, monotonous clicking.  (Of course... I'd like Accordance not to keep losing my foreign language module text settings.)

But that's where the bug is.  If I use the Library to reestablish the default text settings, then all those texts (at least in 13.3.1 and 13.3.2) will display as gibberish in the Research Tab results.  I will then have to uninstall them, reinstall them, and manually (one-by-one) set the font settings to what I want, which takes about an hour.

So again for the good news, everything is looking the way I want (and working, with no false hits in the Research Tab) now, but it's the future that I'm concerned with.  Why did these bugs pop up out of nowhere (and continue to pop up, some of them)?  And knowing how new bugs tend to show up in new releases, I just don't want everything to get ruined with the next release, if that makes sense.

Edited by TYA
  • Like 2

I've bumped up the priority of the bug that's causing the corruption of results in the Word Usage tab when changing the "Set Default Display" option from the Library. 

• Like 2

Thanks for bumping up the priority.  Just discovered today that the False Hits problem has returned, and apparently out of nowhere.  See attached please.

False hits RETURNED again even after repairing.jpg