Export User Notes?

Darin Franklin

Is there any way to export User Notes?  I want to save my notes to rtf, pdf, or a plain txt file.

File > Save As Text File is disabled for User Notes tabs.  The menu item is grayed out.

Print as PDF fails.  I reported that bug about a year ago.

Edit > Copy does not allow more than 500 verses to be copied. That problem was discussed here:

Here are some more discussions of the problem.

• Like 2

Hi @Darin Franklin,

I have been instructed that there is not. Really the only thing you can do is open the note as a new tab, highlight all, copy, and then paste it somewhere. If the note is too long a box will pop up saying as such, and then you need to copy it in sections.

It is extremely time consuming, and it is done in a way that it would not be easily imported again, but it is the only way I know how to do it. So I have been chipping away at it and in the future I will be sure that I write notes somewhere else, like Mac Numbers, and then also copy it on the Note or Tool in Accordance.

My impression is that Accordance will improve this in the future, but it might be a long time which is why I am exporting it by  hand.

Kristin

• Like 2

I continue to encourage our crack team of developers to add an export feature that would include text with formatting and graphics. RTF or Word would be quite adequate for an export format.

Hi @R. Mansfield,
This is a really ignorant question, but would RTF be able to be opened in Mac Numbers? I have been exporting my notes manually to Numbers with the verse in one column and the note in another, so it makes me wonder.

Thanks,
Kristin

8 minutes ago, Kristin said:

This is a really ignorant question, but would RTF be able to be opened in Mac Numbers? I have been exporting my notes manually to Numbers with the verse in one column and the note in another, so it makes me wonder.

I'm pretty certain that neither Numbers nor Excel will open an RTF file. 

43 minutes ago, R. Mansfield said:

I'm pretty certain that neither Numbers nor Excel will open an RTF file. 

Hi Rick,
Ok, thanks for letting me know.

• Like 1

MS Word handles rtf files

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

In the past, I spent close to $1,500 on two other Bible apps that ended up becoming abandonware. (BibleWorks was the most recent of those and I'm grateful to Accordance for making that transition as financially pain-free as possible.) So you can imagine that I'm gun-shy about having my personal notes trapped inside a proprietary program. Having said that, the inability to export user notes is why Accordance has never become my main, go-to, Bible app. I have hundreds of notes in the Olive Tree Bible app, and all of those notes can be exported to a csv file with the click of a button. I would love to see the day when I could import all of those notes into Accordance, update and add to them, and then export at will to a non-proprietary format.

• Like 7

Better import/export is something we need to focus on in a future version of Accordance. @R. Mansfield is totally right there.

Numbers and Excel are for spreadsheets. RTF is a text document. Word and Mellel can handle them, as can pages. Nisus Writer Pro does a really good job with RTF as well.

1 hour ago, Nathan Parker said:

Numbers and Excel are for spreadsheets.

Ya, I know. That is why I use Numbers / Excel. Verse is column A, Note column B, additional thoughts Column C, and all is beautifully able to be sorted. and is searchable. Word is a hot mess.

• Like 1

I only open Word when I have to share a file with someone who needs 100% Word compatibility, and even then, I still cringe. I don’t mix well with Word. I’ve been burned one too many times with it.

• 7 months later...

+ 1 ... any progress here?

Edited by Ben Tovar

It's high up on our feature request list, but no ETA at the moment.

• Like 2