Highlighting across texts

drmatt.thomas

I don't think this is a current feature. If I'm wrong, yay & let me know.

I'd love to be able to set up a highlighting file in one text, then apply it to another text--with which it already has mouseover highlighting.

The specific application I'd have for this is in mapping some information that is available in BHS-T onto a highlight file that I could open in the MT-ETCBC-A. There are some differences in the morphological tagging between the two, but I have students who have one or the other, but not both. In order for them to have the same info, it would be helpful to be able to create highlights in one via search, then port it over to the other.

-Matt

It is possible to highlight across all texts when you highlight the whole verse.  It is also possible to turn that feature off. The settings for this are in preferences. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, @Dan Langston, but I'm not quite sure what feature that is. Is it only for highlighting entire verses? If so, that won't work for my purposes. Also, where is this in preferences--I tried searching but couldn't find it.

Thanks,

Matt

Hi @drmatt.thomas,

I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents as someone who does significant highlighting.

While in the past I for sure would have wanted that feature (and secretly still do...) I wouldn't really recommend it even if it were possible. The reason is because if you highlight two texts at the same time, it would literally double the size of your highlight file, AND files which are too large become corrupted. I have personally experienced this and when a highlight file becomes corrupted the highlights sort of shift and start highlighting parts of words you never did. For example, a highlight over one word might jump down 5 lines and highlight the end of one word and the start of another.

It got to the point that I couldn't salvage it and started another file, and that one became dangerously large also. So even if you don't highlight as much as I do, if you highlight two texts at the same time the program would treat you the same.

Given this experience, I would recommend having one highlight file for one text, and another highlight file for another text. That way the files won't get too large or corrupted. Of course, if you only highlight a word here and there, duplicating it wouldn't matter from a size standpoint, but if you really don't highlight much you probably wouldn't have created the post.

So take that for what it is worth.

Kristin

Dr. Matt Thomas, 

It isn't in preferences, just true that if you start highlighting at the verse number, it will copy across all versions.  I get it that is not what you are looking for, but thought I'd let you know that at least that is possible. 

There is a feature to transfer the Highlights.

1310736800_Bildschirmfoto2021-12-14um09_26_10.thumb.png.83598a849e467d6f309cbdaee8d7aff4.png

But not to all Hebrew/Samaritan texts.