different default text display settings for the different languages

Michael J. Bolesta

Feature request: have separate default text settings for each language across all modules: English, Greek, Hebrew, etc. What is good for English is far too small for Hebrew (for my presbyopia).

• Like 3

Hi @Michael J. Bolesta,

If I am understanding your request correctly, Accordance can already do this. On whatever text, click that little wheel thing on the right and click "Set Text Pane Display" and set the font size to what you want, then, before you click ok, click "set as default" and then that specific text (the Hebrew in my screenshot as an example" will always display at that size, while other texts display at other sizes.

I hope this helps,

Kristin

1029451726_Bildschirmfoto2021-10-31um12_04_25.png.1ee7777150f9974ec4e4d5c161b58e10.png

Kristin

I know you can set the default for a given text, e.g., HMT-W4. I am requesting a way to set the default for all Hebrew texts at one time. That is because I want a much larger font size for all my Hebrew texts than I do for English texts. I also prefer a larger font for Greek texts, though not as large as Hebrew. I think each language should have its own default.

As it is now, one has to set the default for each individual text in Hebrew or Greek. I find this tedious.

Michael

Edited by Michael J. Bolesta
  • Like 2

Hi Michael,

Thank you for clarifying. I had thought you meant all the Hebrew texts, such as all the windows you have open with the Hebrew text, but I understand what you mean now, and I agree there doesn't seem to be a way to do that at the moment.

Take care,

Kristin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a good suggestion. I’ve had the same need before myself.

• Thanks 1

You can set the default display characteristics for more than one text at a time by command-clicking the texts you want in the library to select them, then right-click and choose Set Default Display. The settings you choose will apply to all those texts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As it is now, one has to set the default for each individual text in Hebrew or Greek. I find this tedious.

It most certainly is "tedious" (though I add a touch of positivity, and say "tedious blessing" (since we're gifted with so so many modules in Accordance!))

However, what I find even more tedious is having to totally redo the manual selection of each and every text because Accordance for some reason keeps losing these settings.  I previously posted that I thought it was because I had updated the program and / or modules (which of course still shouldn't cause this to happen), but then about two days ago, out of nowhere, I lost all my Greek, Latin, and Syriac text settings.  Out of thin air...  No program or module updates, or anything else that I know of that would cause this.  Again, not to gripe, but it takes about a solid hour of non-stop, robotic button clicking for me to go and redo the settings for all these texts (about 40-70 modules total).

In my opinion is this not really necessary. But to fix the bugs I reported years ago! If I save Estrangela on 27dots. It should stay on 27dots and not going to a 46dots or whatever!!!

In the normal text view as also in the Text Browser. 

Edited by Fabian

13 hours ago, David Lang said:

You can set the default display characteristics for more than one text at a time by command-clicking the texts you want in the library to select them, then right-click and choose Set Default Display. The settings you choose will apply to all those texts.

Thank you David. I did not know that.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/1/2021 at 9:11 PM, David Lang said:

At this time, please do not use this manner of setting the display. There is a bug which corrupts the Text Display preference file. See this thread: