Parsing with multiple possible results

ktam

Problem description:

When parsing a verb that has more than one possible results, only one is given.

Example: In NA28-T, when I parse ἀπειθήσασίν, It shows that it is "Verb aorist active participle neuter plural dative," but (1) it can also be mascular, so it is not showing all possible results (2) context demands a mascular form here, rather than the neuter. So it is not showing the most probable result.

Since I have not checked other verbs, so I do not know whether it is a general issue or just a bug for this verb. I purchased this very recently, but I am hinder by this kind of defects because I am still a learner of Greek. I used to use katabiblon and it gives the desirable result: https://lexicon.katabiblon.com/inflect.php?search=ἀπειθήσασίν

Thank you for your attention.

Edited by ktam

• ktam changed the title to Parsing with multiple possible results

The verb you are looking at, ἀπειθήσασιν, shows up 3x in NT: Heb 3.18; 11.31; 1 Pet 3.20.

The analysis is based on context.

In the two instances in Hebrews, it is correctly analyzed as masculine, because it is (indirectly) referring to people.

In 1 Pet 3.20 it is correctly analyzed as neuter, because its antecedent is the neuter plural πνεύμασιν in the previous verse.

There are other instances where a word could be analyzed in multiple ways in the context. (often with subjunctive / future verbs; liquid/nasal verbs) The NA28 parsing in Accordance usually, but not always, provides both analyses if both are possible.

Ah! I have made a mistake on the gender of ἀπειθήσασιν in 1 Pet. 3:20. I appreciate your insights.