Very Specific Search in Research tab

pder3571

Is there a way to search for a phrase associated with a specific verse while using the Research function?

For example, I want to search for the phrase "live forever" in All my resources in a Research tab, but only as it is associated with Genesis 3:22. When I type in the phrase on the search line and then add [RANGE Gen], all I get are the biblical texts and nothing else, even though I have scores of dictionaries, commentaries, journals, etc., in my Accordance program. How can I get Accordance to search those other resources for that phrase linked to that Bible verse?

Thank you in advance.

• Like 1

Your search with the RANGE command is doing exactly what it is supposed to be doing. I'm not sure whether the two things you want to do can be accomplished with a single command. What you can do:

1) In new Research tab, switch search to Verses, search for Gen 3.22. That will find every reference to that verse in everything.

2) in new Research tab, switch search to English, search for "live forever" (using quotes). That will find every reference to that phrase in everything.

What you seem to be wanting is the ability to search multiple fields via Research, which is not currently possible. The closest you could come would be something like this:

1. Start with a dictionary or commentary, preferably the one at the top of those module categories

2. In the search entry box, set the field to Scripture and enter =Gen 3:22

3. Click the plus icon to the right of the search entry box to add a second search field.

4. Set that second search field to English Content and enter "live forever"

5. Run the search and examine the results

6. Change to another Tool. You can use the keyboard shortcut control-plus (on Mac, not sure what the Windows equivalent is) to change the Tool window to the next module in your library.

7. Hit Return to run the same search on this other tool.

8. Lather, rinse, repeat.

This is admittedly a laborious process, and you'll find that the search finds nothing in many tools. Still, perhaps you'll find it helpful.

23 hours ago, pder3571 said:

Is there a way to search for a phrase associated with a specific verse while using the Research function?

For example, I want to search for the phrase "live forever" in All my resources in a Research tab, but only as it is associated with Genesis 3:22. When I type in the phrase on the search line and then add [RANGE Gen], all I get are the biblical texts and nothing else, even though I have scores of dictionaries, commentaries, journals, etc., in my Accordance program. How can I get Accordance to search those other resources for that phrase linked to that Bible verse?

Thank you in advance.

I requested this for years.

Fabian

On 10/14/2021 at 8:50 AM, pder3571 said:

Thank you in advance.

Actually, this is partially possible, though I'm not sure the Accordance developers are aware of it. 

As another user pointed out years ago:

1. Open a default text tab, but instead of putting a verse or words, put [RANGE Genesis 3:22].

2. Do a research for the word you're looking for plus <AND> [CONTENTS TabName]. 

This will search all your resources that scroll in conjunction with Bible texts (Commentaries and Study Bibles) but not dictionaries and journals.

I've attached a screenshot of the search you described.

Original Post:

Accordance Research with Text Range.png

And here is another example of how useful this search is. In this example I quickly find all my resources that discuss the Subjunctive textual variant issue in Romans 5:1.

1319997314_SubjunctiveinRomans5_1.thumb.png.c462a915cb441a1f50413be624a4e74d.png

Edited by OSchrock
Added second example
  • Like 1