Search for null-clause following a clause containing a verb with jussive meaning

Martin Shields

Hello! I'm trying to construct a syntax search to find verbless clauses which immediately follow a clause that contains a verb with jussive meaning. Now I have got such a search working — with one exception: I want the clauses to be consecutive and my search is allowing other clauses in the midst of these two clauses. In my imagination I'd use a negated "Inter" with a "Clause" inside it, but this isn't allowed.

Is there a way to achieve this?

Does just adding a WITHIN 1 element connecting the clauses in the search help ?

If not, then if you can post the search as you have it it might help to make suggestions

Thx

D

Edited by Λύχνις Δαν

I tried that as well, but I think the WITHIN 1 didn't constrain the number of clauses but just words again.

This is all I have at the moment. It seems to do most of what I want except that the search results seem to return any chapter where there's any matches of the two clauses, not necessarily in sequence.

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 11.48.47 am.png

Hi Martin,

By "in sequence" I assume you mean where the RH clause is followed by the LH one above ? If you are also getting the reverse you may have search both directions checked. If so unchecked it and you only get the one order. Secondly I tried the WITHIN 1 between the 2 clauses and got no hits. WITHIN 2 gets Prov 24:21/24:23 only. Without the WITHIN I see a bunch of hits - 138 hits if search both directions is set, 101 if not. Is that what you see ?

Based on your OP it looks like you want them directly adjacent. As far as I can tell from using a WITHIN on the clause level there are no such occurrences. Do you have any examples of the construction you are looking for in the text ? The would help a lot.

Thx

D

Looking at it again, I think the WITHIN may work after all. My problem was that for the search I needed it had to look like the attached screenshot. The difference was that I needed to include all the jussive forms (rather than just "JussiveMeaning"). I was basing the search on Job 16:18–19, so this reveals only one other match (Eccl 5:14–15).

This was good to learn, thanks for your help!

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 3.15.44 pm.png

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be doing what I want after all. With the גם in the second clause it returns results that look correct, but I don't understand what is happening in the example below. The search returns a load of results, but looking at one of them — Gen 41:35 — the initial jussive verb is highlighted, then the conjunction ו is highlighted but is immediately followed by a verb — so it can't be a verbless clause!

Am I missing something?

TIA! 

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 8.30.41 am.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 8.31.01 am.png

Martin,

This is because you have the levels set at "2". That means that you're allowing it to look for the null predicate at the same hierarchal level (what you want), but also 2 embedded levels deeper (which is where the null predicate is before the word "food" where the red flag marker is).

Try setting it at "1" and even "0" to see what you get.

Robert