Carl Darling Buck (easy name to remember!)

Enoch

Should these two books be added to Accordance modules:

• Buck C D (1949). A dictionary of selected synonyms in the principal Indo–European languages: a contribution to the history of ideas. Chicago: University of Chicago Press..
  • Buck C D & Petersen W (1945). A reverse index of Greek nouns and adjectives, arranged by terminations with brief historical introductions. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.

Could these be now public domain?

17 hours ago, Enoch said:

Could these be now public domain?

Copyright stuff is always tricky, but I don't believe these would be in the public domain yet. 

Quoting Wikipedia: "A notable exception is the United States, where every book and tale published before 1926 is in the public domain; American copyrights last for 95 years for books originally published between 1925 and 1978 if the copyright was properly registered and maintained."

They would be in the public domain if the copyright wasn’t renewed, and often publishers didn’t renew if they thought there was no interest on reprinting the book. Someone would have to check the registers of copyright renewals from the year the renewal was due. There are details here if you want to investigate these or other books: https://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/renewals.html

However, even if they are in the public domain, producing an electronic text could be a lot of work. Commercial OCR software doesn’t handle polytonic Greek.

My guess is that the Reverse Index had its copyright renewed. I see a 1975 edition "new edition" for sale in paper back from Amazon:

Reverse Index of Greek Nouns and Adjectives Paperback – January 1, 1975

Only set you back $125.  I would buy it if I had $125 to squander.  But I need to tighten zee belt.  Likewise I think on Amazon you can find a used copy of Buck's Indoeuropean

Synonyms. 

New edition?  I have seen where it appears that publishers have added a tidbit to a book for a new copyright (so it seems). Like Archaeology and the Bible got an

appendix added advocating teetotal abstinence from alcoholic beverages.