Cannot print search results

robertnp08

Hello,

I have a long list of search results (it will be about 16 landscape pages on my A3 paper size printer).  I have tried as many configurations as I can. 

On paper, the page is portrait, no line wrap and lines are over-printerd on the page.

My preference is to use the Adobe Acrobat printer so I can annotate the pages on my iPad.  But the A3 page size is not sent to the printer, so the pages are all superimposed as tiny images in the top left of the Acrobat  page (A0 size, I think).  I can separate the first one (using the crop tool) but all the subsequent pages are over printed.

I have tried to attach images of the Accordance results page, all the Accordance printer settings and the pdf file.  But I cannot upload them by drag and drop as a set, indivdually or using "choose files".  All methods tell my the upload has failed  (Error code: 200). 

As I see other people have uploaded images, I pressume it is because I live Down Under - in Australia.  🙂

Just a tad frustrated, all counts.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Rob.

Hello,

I have spent the day on this and have successes.  I will document my solution and add here ASAP because I am sure someone will be able to improve for me.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Rob.

17 hours ago, robertnp08 said:

As I see other people have uploaded images, I pressume it is because I live Down Under - in Australia.  🙂

That should have no bearing. Others from Australia can post images. But I don't have an answer as to why you cannot. I'd be interested to know if you have the same limitation in a different browser.

Hi Mr Mansfield,

Thank you.  My tongue was firmly in my cheek.  But a good point about the browser.  I also have a second W10 PC which I will test.

I have had some success getting the printing to work.  I am trying to complete the project I need the printing for, to make sure I have go what I want.  Then I will document what I found.  That will need up loading some pics or a PDF document.  So I will test all avenues then.  

I will also test using .png pics rather than .jpg - some systems reject the later due to potential for viruses or whatever.  Perhaps that was connected to the Error Code: 200.

Kind regards,

Rob.

Hello,

Here is my workaround and some additional information that might be helpful to others.  My pics uploaded this time - I made them as .png, so perhaps it did not like the .jpg last time.

My print procedure is:

* Select all text in the panel (see later note about Print selection versus Print).

* Select Acrobat Adobe printer (see pic Adobe printer to PDF.png)

* Enter a file name.

* When the PDF file opens the output you will see a tiny image in the top left corner (see pic Output of Adboe printer.png).  My earlier post suggested the output was on a very large page (A0), but this is not the case.  File > Properties shows it is an A4 page (~same size as US Letter).  So it is just very tiny output from the printing proces.  I have never seen this happen before (I have been using the full version of Acrobat extensively since ~V4, so I can only presume it is connected with AB's content processing sent to the Adobe driver.  It also happens on a second W10 PC that has a clean W10 install and a clean AB 13.3 install.

* In the Acrobat file, select the Crop tool and drag out a square/rectange that includes the text area, with a little space to the right and at the bottom.  You let can the left-button go - the outline stays in place and there is a little circle in the lower right corner you can use to adjust the shape (see Crop box in place.png).

* When you have the size you want, double click inside the box and the Set Page Boxes  dialog appears.  (See Crop Box cialog box.png).

* In Page Range - bottom right - click All.   (This step crops every page in the file to the same size.)

* Click OK.

* Click File > Save.

* Click File > View > Zoom > Zoom to page level.

* Scroll up and down the pages in the doc.  This format is fine for importing to an iPad for annotating or for emailing.

If you want to print the file:

* Click File > Print.

* Select printer.

* Select the number of pages to print.

* This is the important step: in the Page Size and Handling, click Fit.

If the page layout doesn't suit, you can try again, changing the size of the Crop box area.

Additional points to consider 

Get hold of the Accordance 7 Manual.  Section 25 has all the information about printing. 

The information in the remainder of this post refers to that section and it produces correct paper printing - even for text with interlinera lines (see below).  It is only the AB - Adobe Printer part of the process that has a little wrinkle - and it is worth persisting with it because going through a large number of paper pages is not worth it.  (PDF Epert,  Apple pen ... and a cup of tea/coffee.  Nice.)

Printing 'vanilla' text panels - meaning no interlinear lines - is usually fine - including interleaving several panes.  But you may need to consider the following points to print panes  with interlinear text displayed:

* Open File > Page Setup

* Set your page size ad margins

* Click OK.

* Open File > Print Settings.  The settings below are what I needed to print two 'vanilla' panels and a tagged Hebrew text with two lines of interlinear information.  I experimented with a lot of settings - this is the set that has worked everytime since.  This dialog box is where the Accordance 7 Manual is the most help.

* Adjust the margins you need for preferred page layout.

Multipane Printing

# Select All panes

# Set Columns to: None - All interleaved.  This means for three panels, with three texts open, the output is: 

Pane 1 - first line

Pane 2 - first line

Pane 3 - first line -  and so on for the secnd and all remaining lines, down the printed page.

Options: I chose to use a set font size (10 pt) because my early attemtps had lines over printering each other.

* Line spacing:  THIS IS THE KEY - for me to print panes with interlinear lines of text.  I set it to: Double.

The printing process understands the standard lines of 'vanila' text in the panes.  But it does not auto-adjust for additional "inserted" interlinear lines with their different font sizes.  It passes the interlinear text through, but does not auto-adjust the spacing.

Setting Double spacing works for my work with two lines of interlinear.  I will need Triple spacing if I want two or perhaps three more interlinear lines.

* Open File > Print.  The default operation is to print ALL lines in ALL panes.  If you know exactly what is in your panes, and especially if you are producing PDF output: go for it. 

* Open Print Selection.  The alternative is to either select the lines you want to print or change the range for the output.  When my output is PDF for the iPad, I don't care about extra pages - they just get deleted anyway.

Conclusion

As it stands, I have a printing problem on two different 64 bit PCs (Lenovo ThinkCentre desktop and Toshiba portable) when printing panes with interlinear text to paper or the Adobe Printer to produce PDF output - if I don't change the line spacing.  The ultra micro text output from the Accordance - Adobe printer path is second problem. 

The workaround above certainly works each time for me.  Perhaps it migjt help others too. 

Hopefully Accordance will be able to make the printing easier in the future.

Kind regards,

Rob.

Crop Box dialog box.png

Corp box in place.png

Output of Adobe Printer.png

Adobe printer to PDF.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing your findings! This will surely be helpful to anyone who has run into this same issue.