Management of Auto-Sessions Saving interval.

bdollahite

Currently Accordance auto saves the current session every 5 minutes.  Normally this is fine.  It saves 50 entries (back track up to 250 minutes — or about 3.6 hours).  

However, I leave my Accordance running in background, and I rarely shut down my Mac.  So I was working on something, and made a mistake - closing out some workspace I had work to create, but did see that I had done so.  I then left for church and Sunday school where I teach.  I returned home to my Mac some 4 hours later (alter Church, class, lunch, etc.) and discovered the missing workspace and went to auto save session to fetch it back only to find all session were backing up the same session.

So request ability to set auto time - say to every 15 minutes at 50 save that would be 12.5 ours of protection.

Or better yet — save 50 files worth but set a dirty bit flag when a session has a change in its, and only save when the dirt bit flag is on.  That way, while I was away, no new auto-saves would have taken place, so when I return I could then go back up to 50 sessions where real changes took place.  

FYI:  In my case, Apple's Time Machine was also working and it had saved the file, so I was able to recover my lost work.  I just wish I could have done so from within Accordance.

• Like 4

I'm no programmer, so it's easy for me to suggest such things 🙂 but I wonder if the automatic backup could be suspended by default if there's not been any actual change to the current session? This might be the best solution rather than changing the intervals or the number of saves.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, R. Mansfield said:

I'm no programmer, so it's easy for me to suggest such things 🙂 but I wonder if the automatic backup could be suspended by default if there's not been any actual change to the current session? This might be the best solution rather than changing the intervals or the number of saves.

Or if App Nap is active.

• 2 years later...

I was also trying to adjust the auto-save settings today. I have two questions:

1. Is it possible yet to adjust the auto saving time, or how many auto-saved sessions are stored?

2. My manually saved workspaces also get changed all the time - Accordance automatically saves them every -x minutes.

Does anyone know how to deal with these two issues? (I could not find such settings in Preferences)

@Accordance Enthusiast

I couldn't find any autosave options.

Suggestions to programmers:

1. For the original problem, autosave isn't quite the right fit. Fix it instead with a beefed up 'undo'. Follow the lead from web browsers and offer a command to reopen tabs/windows/workspaces.

2. Don't overwrite manually-saved workspaces. Use Microsoft's approach and create a temporary file for autosaved copies.

3. Follow @bdollahite's suggestion: keep track of when something has changed; autosave only when there's been a change.

Edited by Lawrence
  • Like 2

Good info! I'll add this to my feature requests list.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

Good info! I'll add this to my feature requests list.

Please take this as a very serious request.

Thanks!

• Like 1