Creating a custom list of events for the Timeline app and sharing it with others. Is this possible?

Steven MacDonald

I would like to create a custom event list on the latest Accordance Timeline module and be able to share that custom list with other Accordance users who have the Timeline app.  Is this doable?

Thanks.

Steve

Steve, I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. Are you wanting to help them find certain items on the Timeline, so that, for example, Saul, David, Ish-bosheth, and Solomon are all highlighted and displayed?

Assuming that's what you mean, I just tried a couple of approaches:

1. You can right- or control-click any item on the Timeline and choose Copy As Search URL to get a link like this: accord://locate/timeline?David. You could then send that to someone however you like, and when they click the link, they'll go to David on the Timeline. Unfortunately, I could find no way to generate a link for more than one item, so you would need to copy multiple links for multiple items, and the person you send the links to would have to click each one.

2. A better approach was to create a user tool and put together a comma-delimited list of the Timeline items I want to find: Saul, David, Ish-bosheth, and Solomon. You could then send the user tool to someone, they could highlight the list, and then Amplify to the Timeline to find all those items at once.

Hope this helps.

3 hours ago, David Lang said:

Steve, I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. Are you wanting to help them find certain items on the Timeline, so that, for example, Saul, David, Ish-bosheth, and Solomon are all highlighted and displayed?

Assuming that's what you mean, I just tried a couple of approaches:

1. You can right- or control-click any item on the Timeline and choose Copy As Search URL to get a link like this: accord://locate/timeline?David. You could then send that to someone however you like, and when they click the link, they'll go to David on the Timeline. Unfortunately, I could find no way to generate a link for more than one item, so you would need to copy multiple links for multiple items, and the person you send the links to would have to click each one.

2. A better approach was to create a user tool and put together a comma-delimited list of the Timeline items I want to find: Saul, David, Ish-bosheth, and Solomon. You could then send the user tool to someone, they could highlight the list, and then Amplify to the Timeline to find all those items at once.

Hope this helps.

Thanks David for wanting to help.  In my case, no, I actually want to add additional types of events to the timeline that are not currently on it and then share those newly created events with other users in the class who also have Accordance and the Timeline software of course.  As opposed to each of them having to manually create the same custom evenyts manually in their copy of Accordance.  Is there a way to export my custom evets to a file that could be imported into someone else's Timeline?  I was just watching your video on YouTube regarding the Timeline and you mentioned possibling sharing the user items file related to the timeline.  Where is that located on Windows?

Edited by Steven MacDonald
Added additional information
  • Like 1

David, I found the User Items.acc1 file on my Windows PC.  Does that file contain more than just User Items for the Timeline?

Thanks for any info.

Steve

Yes, that's the file you would share with other Accordance users. They would need to replace their User Items file.

David, 

Would it be possible to add the ability to choose a cusom color for the time bar representing each custom entry?  We are hoping to create some custom timeline stuff for students and it would be helpful to have that option.  It would ultimately generate more sales of the Accordance Timeline as well 🙂

Steve