Search for monosyllabic nouns

Bielikov

This is a hard one. How would I search for monosyllabic nouns such as אח. עם and the such? In other words, for all monosyllabic nouns. Many thanks!

Hi Bielikov,

This is not a particularly helpful response, but I don't think so. I was trying to mess around with it on my end and it doesn't seem to be possible. Do you mind me asking why you are trying to do this? There may be another way of accomplishing your actual goal.

Thanks, Kristin. Sure. I am going through several grammars and like to “prove” the rules, so to speak. One of them has to do with Type I vs. Type II suffix and the Hireq Yud in some monosyllabic nouns. With Accordance it was not too difficult to confirm the rule. But still, it would be useful to check a large number of words in a brief time. Did I answer your question? 

Hi Bielikov,

Yes, thank you for the clarification. I have been giving it some thought, and I don't think this is possible. You basically need the WITHIN x WORDS command, where instead of it is words it is letters, but there does not seem to be a way to do that.

The only other thing I can think of is to try to think of all the aspects of your rule and see if there is another way to capture the same or similar results in some sort of construct search. The only problem with that is that the results might not be identical to what you are trying to do, but similar.

I am sorry I was not able to be of more help,

Kristin

Kristin, you were great! Thanks so much for the help. Best wishes from Chile.

• Like 1

Peter, is this what you are looking for?

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 10.53.32.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you want hireq yodh replace the second ? with a y and place a . followed by a hireq between the yodh and the first ?

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 10.57.35.png

Edited by Ken Simpson
forgot to attach pic
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Robert Holmstedt said:

Nice search, Ken! That'll be very useful for some advanced BH grammar notes.

My pleasure Robert - always happy to help. I love fiddling with the wildcard searching so if there's any others I can set up I'd love to have a go for anyone.

• Like 3

Just as a parallel example, this search looks for hireq yodh or hireq waw nouns, monosyllabic,

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 12.39.31.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

These are fantastic searches, many thanks, Ken. I’m glad I took a chance and asked. 

1 hour ago, Bielikov said:

These are fantastic searches, many thanks, Ken. I’m glad I took a chance and asked. 

No problem at all. Always happy to help and amaze (well amaze sometimes anyway). 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Accordance has been such a help in learning Hebrew morphology. After I heard of Dr. Fuller's approach to teaching Hebrew, I worked through his textbook and it has been an invaluable help to be able to confirm or refine the rules according to the data by doing these kinds of searches combining weak verbs with certain conjugations.