New Davidson blog post on BrillDAG

docdave

Brian W. Davidson put out a nice blog post today on The Brill Dictionary of Ancient Greek, and what he likes about the Accordance module:

https://brianwdavidson.com/2021/09/14/brill-dictionary-of-ancient-greek-in-accordance/ 

• Like 3

Not that I have any bias, but this is an excellent review by Brian W. Davidson. 

• Like 4

I agree it’s a particularly good review.

About the extra words that are in Accordance but not it in the print version, I suspect these correspond to Montanari’s Words in Progress database, an online supplement to His Greek-Italian lexicon. To test this hypothesis, I looked up one of the words, σαγίττα, and found it here: http://www.aristarchus.unige.net/Wordsinprogress/en/Database/View/2436 The database, which is in Italian, has some additional  information.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jlm said:

About the extra words that are in Accordance but not it in the print version...

@Jordan S can give you more specifics about the extra words not in the print version.

@Brian W. Davidson just wondering if you can check on something for me for your review about the Logos version of Brill.

A number of Logos lexicons support "Outline formatting" which is able to be toggled on using the Visual Filters icon (i.e. the three dots)

For example their Enhanced BDB modules does allow you to toggle on outline formatting but it is not available for the Abridged BDB. As most of my lexicon resources are in Accordance I, a. don't have a big enough pool of data to say how widely it is available, and b. don't really think about it since I rarely use lexicon resources on Logos. (As I don't own Brill on either platform I am not in a position to test).

I know it seems strange to be asking about this here but for the sake of fairness of your review I think I should mention it, especially if their Brill module supports outline formatting.

To bring this back to something slightly Accordance related maybe the forums could implement their own outline filter so we might better follow the text of a post 🙂

• Like 1

I did check on that and didn't see it. Just double checked and the outline feature is not listed  in the visual filter section of MGS in Logos. I'm guessing it's because they have to do some work on the back end for it to work. I have never found the outline visual filter in Logos very compelling/useful. To me it inserts too much space and makes too many breaks. Love Accordance's formatting here, and they've formatted  Beekes' Etymological Dictionary similarly. I'm going to have a post on that this weekend.

• Like 3

Thank you for writing that review. It was very helpful. 

Great review. I've got it in logos . . . because I wasn't sure if Accordance would ever get it. I'm glad they have. I'll pony up for this one very soon. 

• Like 1