Lowu & Nida word search

Buashie Amatokwu

I am trying to do a search in Louw and Nida, for other Greek words in Philemon within the same semantic domain of the word δέσμιος. It is giving me just two words when i go into the table of contents 37.117 δέσμιος, ου m; δεσμώτης. and they are in Acts/Matt and not even in philemon which we know Paul calls himself a prisoner in chapter 1:1 There should be more in philemon especially when you add the range for philemon. Help please!!!!

Hi @Buashie Amatokwu,

I don't own Louw & Nida, but just based on the image I see on the Accordance page about it, I don't think it is designed to do what you are trying to do. It appears to rather be a lexicon which organizes words into categories. The verses it does use seem to just be to give you an idea. In order to do what you are trying to do I think you need to open the Greek text and search there. Doing so I see 16 hits for δέσμιος and two hits for δεσμώτης.

I hope this helps,

Kristin

• Like 2

@Brian W. Davidson @Kristin

I thank you, both. You should be able to in when you change to the Louw & Nida (lexical form) and Greek entry. If you change the tools to greek lexical and L&N you should be able however, for some reason I am only getting just two semantic domain for δέσμιος. and that is what it should look like on the second search.

L&N.png

L&N Luke.png

Edited by Buashie Amatokwu

@KristinThank you for your help!  In L&N I should be able to, when I change it to L&N and Greek entry but for some reason I am not able. 

Edited by Buashie Amatokwu

Hi @Buashie Amatokwu,
I am glad that was somewhat helpful. :) Concerning doing something in L&N I am afraid I don't know more, as I am not familiar with the specific text. Hopefully someone else on the forum has more familiarity with it and might know.

Take care,
Kristin

• Like 1

@Buashie Amatokwu You might also find the following paragraph helpful from the section “How to Use the Lexicon” in the Introduction. The highlighted section explains why you didn’t find the Philemon references.

If one is concerned primarily with the lexical values to be found in words of a particular passage of Scripture, then obviously the place to begin is with the biblical index. This index is exhaustive in that it lists all of the domains and entries where a specific verse of Scripture is treated in any way. This means that by using the biblical index one can ultimately find out everything which is said about a particular verse, but not all of the verses of the New Testament are to be found in the index, since the lexicon itself is not exhaustive of all the occurrences of every term. The choice of biblical passages to illustrate the range of meaning of any lexical item is based upon two factors: (1) the clarity and particularity of the passage and (2) the importance of the passage for exegesis. No attempt has been made to sidestep semantic problems, as will be noted by the numerous instances in which more than one meaning of a term is listed for a particular context.

• Like 1

It has long been requested that Accordance make Louw-Nida domain searches possible. It was possible in BibleWorks (which is one reason why I still have to use it occasionally) and is possible in that other major Bible software program.

HERE is the old request thread.

If others keep asking for it, perhaps it will be moved up on their list of things to do.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, mgvh said:

It has long been requested that Accordance make Louw-Nida domain searches possible. It was possible in BibleWorks (which is one reason why I still have to use it occasionally) and is possible in that other major Bible software program.

HERE is the old request thread.

If others keep asking for it, perhaps it will be moved up on their list of things to do.

+ 1

• Like 1