Dictionary In Everything

kjoconis

Hello, Is it possible to get a dictionary in ALL of accordance. Meaning in texts, tools, you name it. I just want, when I am reading something, to be able to right click, or hit shortcut key (better) and just get the definition to the word that I have come across. I have a mac, so i found the speak shortcut key, which is command +9, but I am unable to find the shortcut for getting a definition of a word.

If you do have this, please let me know the command and if you don't, can we get it?

Go to preferences —> Amplify —> Triple-click Defaults and check what is in the English choice. If you have the Webster's Dictionary (1913) tool, you could use that here and it would become active on any work in any text or tool with a triple click. Some folk have used ISBE for this purpose because it has a large set of words available. Check your dictionaries and see if you have something suitable for the triple click function.

—Joseph

—note: If you are in tagged text—triple clicking will link to the Greek/Hebrew word related to the English word. To get the English definition while in a keyed text (one with Strong's Numbers), hold the shift-key as you triple click.

Edited by Solly

Solly is answering correctly, the problem is that tagged texts act behave differently from non-tagged and tools modules behave slightly differently again.

{TIP}:  If you have a comprehensive bible dictionary, try dragging the icon from the  library up to the tool bar.  When you come across a word you want to look up, click the word and the the icon.  

2100159748_ScreenshotofPDFExpert(29-08-202115-55-35).thumb.png.bc270c98cd25b66ab89d255eb36642b8.png

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Since you are on a Mac - the Apple Dictionary (an app in your System's application folder and a more modern Dictionary than Webster 1913 edition) can be made available under the Apple Menu-Recent Items once you have used it.  I find I can elect any word that appears in any Accordance window, copy it, and then go the Apple menu and select Recent Items-> Dictionary and paste the word into the search field and voila — I get what you are looking for.  To keep the dictionary in the recent items list, since it is an app, I set my System Preferences-General for Recent Items to 50.

NOTE: The Apple Dictionary is actually a very powerful tool in and of itself with lots of functionality built into it.   And when used as described above it almost like Accordance had integrated this great tool into its great program.

Or following the logic of bdollahite, just pin the Apple dictionary to the Apple dock and always have it a click away at all times—assuming you use the dock.

—Joseph ,who just added the Apple Dictionary to his dock.

• Like 3

I just tried drag and drop (highlight the word of interest and drag it to the Dictionary icon in the dock)—it works. This little capability absolutely made my day! :)

—Joseph the Joyful

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Excellent Joseph! Thank you very much!

• Like 1

I have finally settled on a workflow that works for the Apple Dictionary app.

A bit over 25 years ago I learned some useful approaches as I worked on a Solaris work station. My favorite approach was to have one desktop for each task I was doing (mail, programing, compiling, editing, reading manuals, and such). Today I still use multiple desktops for Accordance, another Bible software, the browser, Mail, file manipulation, and now the Apple Dictionary app. Once the dictionary is active in its own desktop, drag a word of interest to the Dictionary icon on the dock which will then open the dictionary desktop with the dropped word active. To get back to Accordance, just click on the Accordance icon on the Dock or swipe left or right with three fingers to bring up the Accordance desktop. Yes it is a bit strange at first to work with multiple desktops, but I would never go back to using a single desktop. 

For those wishing to have help setting up multiple desktops and using them effectively, contact me by private message and I will work with you on Desktop uses.

—Joseph the Multiple Desktop Advocate

• Like 3