Need help understanding Highlight Styles in Accordance

gracegift

I am using Accordance 13; I want to understand more of how to use the Highlight Styles.  In the NT, I would like to have all participles underlined in a yellow color while imperatives are underlined in a red color.  I have fiddled with this for weeks and tried to find some help on the forum.   I have attached an example of what I thought would work; however, Accordance is highlighting nouns with this scheme.

Can someone help me understand how to use this?  Thanks in advance!

Highlight.PNG

Well... I'll be leading a session on precisely this kind of thing for the Accordance eAcademy on Wednesday!

Free registration HERE

In the meantime...

1. To apply highlighting to all the imperatives, you first do a search for all imperatives. Right click on one of the hits > Highlight all hits > choose your imperative code
  2. Such coding has already been done, and I've shared it on the Accordance exchange. Go HERE.  You can download my Understanding NT Greek Morphological Coding HLT file. Then, you can open that file in Accordance and change the color schemes to whatever you want.
  • Like 2

I didn't see this update until just now, which is past the date of the class.  Do you know if/when it will be posted?

I have downloaded several of those .hlt files in the past; however, whenever I try to modify them, they don't work.  When i used Logos several years back, it was super user-friendly and I could highlight things with ease.  Accordance seems to be a bit more difficult in this area and I haven't been able to understand the process.  Hopefully your Academy class will help.

Hi Gracegift,

The highlights can take a little to get use to, but once you get the hang of it they are easy to use and really helpful. In case it is helpful, below is the link of the highlight file mgvh mentioned, and the thread has instructions. 

Concerning making edits to highlights, the screenshot you posted is the right place. Just be sure to press "Add" for each new part of speech you want to create. You can also change the name and color/pattern of each specific highlight.

I hope this helps, but if it doesn't address your question please let me know.

The one last thing I would like to mention, is if you create a new highlight, be REALLY careful to press "Add" as if you are not careful it is easy to type over an existing highlight.

Kristin

• Like 1

For me it is ridiculous that there is no On/Off button for the Highlights. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fabian said:

For me it is ridiculous that there is no On/Off button for the Highlights. 

Fabian,

I think a work around which might work well for you is just creating a new highlight file with no highlights. Then to turn them off you can just switch to the blank highlight set.

If Accordance had a button for every feature, it would look like this, lol. 

But you can hide your highlighting in any Text by pressing Cmd/Ctrl-T and selecting "Hide Verse Highlighting."

2678853923_03290db5b2.jpg.e776d410ccba340a740a8ea20c5a2b77.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Mark Allison said:

If Accordance had a button for every feature, it would look like this, lol. 

But you can hide your highlighting in any Text by pressing Cmd/Ctrl-T and selecting "Hide Verse Highlighting."

2678853923_03290db5b2.jpg.e776d410ccba340a740a8ea20c5a2b77.jpg

It would be enough here.

1158907598_Bildschirmfoto2021-07-24um22_10_55.png.f1a87906638896e2d9c6604dd2b8ef7b.png

A long press on the 396889168_Bildschirmfoto2021-07-24um22_12_12.png.5fad1d5070102954f7fd8d88591aa871.png would be cool too. 

Fabian

• Like 2

Those are good feature requests Fabian. I'll pass them along!

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Mark Allison said:

Thanks. 

So it seems to be a translation issue too. 

The icon  894440084_Bildschirmfoto2021-07-24um22_17_33.png.2e8fb5606459249e5e92f2ef12187229.png it is called "Highlight" (German IU), but in Advanced it is called 912244978_Bildschirmfoto2021-07-24um22_17_15.png.1f9852d7059075dcb833857467518755.png. It would be good if the, from my side always complained non existent,  uniformly of the App would be excellent. I the past I always wondered what "Worthervorhebung unterdrücken" stands for. Highlight = Hervorhebung, thats correct, but it should be consequent in the use of words. I see in English it is more consequent, by using the same term. 

Edited by Fabian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kristin, I don't see an "Add" button; I am using Windows, so maybe that's a Mac GUI item.

Mgvh, thanks for your help as well.  I now see that your .hlt file only works with NA-28, which I don't have.

I think a light bulb just went off; I thought setting the highlight styles would automatically highlight everything when that .hlt file was selected.  Instead, it seems that I have to enter [VERB participle], select Enter, right-click a selection, Highlight All... with participle (repeat for every type).  That is quite cumbersome, but at least it is working for now.

Hi Gracegift,

I am sorry for being confusing, I meant "New." :) I do this so often that I do it on autopilot and must have renamed it in my mind.

I believe it is the same on both Mac and Windows. Here is a screenshot of what to expect.

Let me know if you have other questions with it.

Take care,

Kristin

Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-25 um 09.55.13.png