singular form of a key translated a specific way

Kristin

I am trying to find out when Key H8064 as the singular form of (שָׁמֶה) is translated  as "heaven" or "heavens" by the ESV, as opposed to the plural (שָׁמַיִם). I am not sure if I am supposed to be using the Construct or Analysis.  I tried both the ESV Construct and HMT Construct, but neither seems to let me focus on whether it is singular or plural.

If I just check the Analysis, I can see what I am looking for, but the 218 results are primarily the plural form. If I click on the singular form of the word to see the results I get a popup saying the word is not found in the ESV. I am sure there is a way to be able to do this but I am really lost.

Thank you for any help anyone is able to provide.

Sincerely,

Kristin

1900777200_singularkey.png.4039bef3758c0cf4a6774f192fb2112c.png

Hi Kristin,

I don't see שׁמימ occurring in the singular in the HMT. I could be wrong - Hebrew's not my forte by any stretch, but a quick search of HMT-W4 for שׁמימ@[noun singular] or just for שׁמימ and looking at the analysis shows no singular.

Thx

D

58 minutes ago, Λύχνις Δαν said:

Hi Kristin,

I don't see שׁמימ occurring in the singular in the HMT. I could be wrong - Hebrew's not my forte by any stretch, but a quick search of HMT-W4 for שׁמימ@[noun singular] or just for שׁמימ and looking at the analysis shows no singular.

Thx

D

Hi Λύχνις Δαν,

Thank you for your reply. Do you mind explaining how you searched for שׁמימ@[noun singular] ? I assume you start with the HMT, but after typing שׁמימ I am not sure how to add the "@[noun singular]" or "@[noun plural]" for that matter. If I start with the HMT and type a Hebrew word, I can type the @ but if I try typing the noun singular part I cannot since it is typing in Hebrew.

That question aside, I was able to check it by just copying your formula into the search bar using the singular as שָׁמֶה@[noun singular] and it gives 38 hits. However, the only way to see how the ESV translates the 38 hits is to check each instance with the ESV as a parallel. For example, Deut 38:37 is "horror" and 2 Kgs 22:19 is "desolation" etc,  but is there any way to see an analysis of how the ESV translates it without checking each instance?

On my screenshot above, the ESV is supposedly translating it as "heaven" at least once (as it is shown under KEY H8064.

Checking 38 instances it does not seem to be the case, and that is doable, but if there had been a few hundred instances going through each one by one is sort of tedious.

Sincerely,

Kristin

Sure.

Yes Open a search tab with the HMT-W4 text.

Then type the word

then the easiest thing next is to use the Search menu : Search -> Enter Tag .... Noun

From the dialog choose the options you want.

Enter Tag has a keyboard shortcut : cmt-shift-G which I use a lot. If you have no space after the word you typed it should insert the @ for you

Of the second question it's picking up the alternative lex which is a different word. In these lex searches you really want to check the use exact form box in the lexical forms dialog, or use the = prefix. Thus : =שָׁמַיִם

The easiest way to do this is to use cmd-L or Search -> Lexical forms. Then type in שׁמימ and click the lex you want, then check the use exact lexeme box, then hit ok.

Then analysis tab will show you all hits are plural if you add the Number element to the output.

Thx

D

Thank you for the explanation. I think I might need to mess with it a little to really get a feel for it, but I think I understand. :)

Hi Kristen, you can do what you want using the TEXT command too.

here is the search I just used

[KEY H8064]@ [HMT-W4 [NOUN singular]

I will pop a video of how I did it in my dropbox and leave a link here in. a moment

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iko4svj9xx90uou/TEXT command with ESV and Hebrew.mp4?dl=0

Edited by Ken Simpson
  • Like 1

Did that get any hits for the lex שׁמימ Ken ? I tried various things like this but I don't think I got hits for this. I just tried your search above and got no hits.

Thx

D

Thank you very much for the video, @Ken Simpson! I am super visual and it helped a lot being able to follow along.

No - no hits, because as Daniel said, the singular version does not exist in the Hebrew text (or perhaps even in Hebrew at all - someone more erudite than I will need to chime in on that.

Have a look at this one for to analyse a key number (in this case for Hebrew number )

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h19rv39jbv12gzj/ESV HEBREW SEARCH USING TEXT.mp4?dl=0

HALOT says its a dual. (Make of that what you will, but take care in jumping from linguistic oddities to theological constructions).

Edited by Ken Simpson

Ok, thank you both for confirming this. When I saw the initial analysis for "heaven" an it listed (שָׁמֶה), I thought it meant that was one of the words used, but I suppose now it was just getting listed since it is a form of the key, but not necessarily saying that form is used.

2 minutes ago, Kristin said:

Ok, thank you both for confirming this. When I saw the initial analysis for "heaven" an it listed (שָׁמֶה), I thought it meant that was one of the words used, but I suppose now it was just getting listed since it is a form of the key, but not necessarily saying that form is used.

No problem at all @Kristin. We love helping when we can.

• Like 1