Divine name in Accordance Services

Daniel Saunders

I love the Accordance services - especially the Insert Verses tools. I use them all the time.

The only problem I run into is when the divine name appears in the text. In versions where small caps is used, LORD is inserted as Lord. This means I need to double check and correct the formatting. I realise the service/api is probably not able to format with small caps (that feature isn't available in many programs) - but I'd find it very helpful if the Name was inserted in all caps, for translations that follow this convention.

Thanks!

Daniel,

Glad the Services are useful to you. (Apple is now trying to call them "Quick Actions".)

This is a limitation of Apple's underlying AppleEvent technology that the Services rely on. They store the text string but not any formatting information. Hence, formatting markers such as bold or small caps don't get transferred.

I can provide you a tweak to the Service that would change any occurrence of "Lord" to "LORD", in all-caps (not small caps). Problem is, it would be non-discerning, analyzing only the text string, not the original formatting. So, if a translation has a non-divine-name use of "Lord" or "Lord's" that has a capital "L", it will all-cap it as well. Of course, this would be rare.

Attached is the new Service. It has a second action in it that simply replaces every "Lord" with "LORD".

It's named "Insert Verses LORD".

Let me know if you encounter a problem.

Acc - Insert Verses LORD.workflow.zip

Edited by Joe Weaks
attached file
  • Like 2

Joe, it might be a good idea to post that to the Exchange, too.

That's great for someone to put it on the exchange. 

And, if there's ever a Services post that I don't see, feel free to tag me. I try and keep up.

3 minutes ago, Joe Weaks said:

That's great for someone to put it on the exchange. 

Well, I meant for you to submit it to the exchange... 🙂 

I know you did.  😃

• Like 1

Thanks Joe! I've installed it and will give it a run through.

I think you're right that's going to be pretty rare to get a 'false hit' with your work around. I'm guessing a more robust solution would require modifying the output from the API - but that's a much bigger job.

• Like 1

Fabian, the Accordance Services work. What is the problem you're encountering?

Are you using Microsoft Word? The current version of Word has broken Services… any text replacing Service, not just Accordance.

Hello Joe

I was not able to Search for Words, Search with Options and View Verses. Unfortunately I have deleted the error messages. Now under 10.5 Beta all works again. I had then deleted all Services and installed it again without success. So I deleted it again. Now under 11.5 I installed it again and it works flawlessly. 

And now I can't reduplicate the error. 

Thanks

Fabian

Glad you gave it another shot. Glad it's working.