Greek Construct Searches

SWC

I’ve never gotten familiar with construct searches and want to start learning how to use them.  (Specifically Greek construct searches.)

If I wanted to do a Greek construct search for all the verbs when God is the subject of the verb, how would I build the search once the construct window is open?  Any help would be appreciated!

Hi Steve,

Strictly, this is both a construct and a syntax search as you cannot find subjects without the syntax module. Below is one example that will get you started:

sc.jpg.2ad4e12b92a30f1447146c6d58c79ba3.jpg

I set depth to 3 so we get examples where the subject it not immediately below the clause, which is in fact always the case it seems as 0 gives you no hits. But going to the other extreme will likely end up with unrelated verbs in more complex structures, but play around with it and see what you think.

Thx

D

Thanks!  I ran into a problem trying to duplicate your suggestion.  I was able to drag the Subject, Verb and Lex into the columns but I’m prevented from dragging the Clause anywhere.  What am I dong wrong?  (I do have the GNT28-T Syntax installed.)

1776906638_ScreenShot2021-04-29at3_09_42PM.png.0c23112043e57e0be6eb9d7c79251c18.png

You must set up the clause structure first. When you get into a situation like this you need to just select the SUBJECT and LEX items and move them to another column temporarily. Then put the clause element into the first column - it will expand automatically to two columns under it when it is placed. Then drag the elements back under it to where you want them

thx

D

39 minutes ago, Λύχνις Δαν said:

You must set up the clause structure first. When you get into a situation like this you need to just select the SUBJECT and LEX items and move them to another column temporarily. Then put the clause element into the first column - it will expand automatically to two columns under it when it is placed. Then drag the elements back under it to where you want them

thx

D

Got it!  Now I can tweak it to experiment with it!  Thanks!

Interesting results depending on how the construct is set up...

Do be sure to check the "search both ways."

Using Dan's suggested construct, you will get rightly get instances where θεος is the subject of a verb that occurs somewhat distant in the next verse.

You will not, however, get results where God is in apposition. I.e., it will not return results for "Lord God" as the subject, since technically Lord is subject and God is in apposition.

(You will also get some results where things overlap. E.g., the verb οιδα 1st singular in Acts 3.17 is not a correct result, but it's a verb and God is the subject in the next verse.)

Here's another example to use that gets similar results.

Instead of specifying God as subject, you could also set it nominative to pick instances where it is appositive.

AccGodSujb.png

15 minutes ago, mgvh said:

Do be sure to check the "search both ways."

Using Dan's suggested construct, you will get rightly get instances where θεος is the subject of a verb that occurs somewhat distant in the next verse.

You will not, however, get results where God is in apposition. I.e., it will not return results for "Lord God" as the subject, since technically Lord is subject and God is in apposition.

(You will also get some results where things overlap. E.g., the verb οιδα 1st singular in Acts 3.17 is not a correct result, but it's a verb and God is the subject in the next verse.)

Instead of specifying God as subject, you could also set it nominative to pick instances where it is appositive.

Very helpful!