Bibliographic sources of Greek Instant Details?

dfish@occ.edu

I have searched through the forums for the answer to this question, but cannot find anything. I had a student ask me the bibliographic source for English glosses of Greek words.

He was looking at the lexeme ἄτοπος specifically in Luke 23:41 where one of the thieves on the cross says (of Jesus): οὗτος δὲ οὐδὲν  ἄτοπον ἔπραξεν.

When hovering over the word he found the following glosses:

out of place, untrodden, odd; paradoxical, absurd

He was struck by the gloss paradoxical, but couldn't find any lexicon with that rendering (either in his library, or in our college's library).

I did a search of all of my lexicons in Accordance for the English term paradoxical, and I couldn't find anything referring to the Greek word ἄτοπος.

Can someone help me?

LSJ lists paradoxical for ἄτοπος.

ἄτοπ-ος, ον, out of place, out of the way: hence,

1 unwonted, extraordinary, of symptoms, Hp. Aph. 4.52: Comp., ibid.; ἄ. ἁδονά E. IT 842 (lyr.), cf. Arist. EN 1149a15; ὄρνις Ar. Av. 276; πόθος Id. Ec. 956.

2 strange, paradoxical, δοῦλοι τῶν αἰεὶ ἀτόπων slaves to every new paradox, Th. 3.38; ἄτοπόν τι πάσχειν And. 4.34; τῶν -ωτάτων μέντἂν εἴη D. 1.26; ἄτοπα τῆς σμικρολογίας absurd pettinesses, Pl. Tht. 175a; ἄ. ἡδονῆς καὶ λύπης μεῖξις Id. Phlb. 49a; ἄτοπόν ἐστι, c. inf., Pherecr. 91, Eub. 125; οὐδὲν ἄ. εἰ ἀποθάνοιμι Pl. Grg. 521d, cf. Arist. Cat. 11a37, al., etc.

b of persons, Isoc. 12.149; ἄ. παιδευτής Pl. R. 493c; ἄ. καὶ δυσχερεῖς D. 19.308; τὸν ἄτοπον φεύγειν ἀεί Men. 203c; ἄ. φαγεῖν given to strange food, Philostr. VA 3.55.

3 unnatural, disgusting, foul, πνεῦμα Th. 2.49; monstrous, ἀτοπώτατον πρᾶγμα ἐξευρών Lys. 3.7; later, wicked, wrong, LXX Jb. 27.6, Ev.Luc. 23.41; of persons, opp. χρηστός, Phld. Sign. 1; of things, bad, harmful, Act.Ap. 28.6 . Adv. -πως in an unfavourable position, κεῖσθαι, of planets, Vett. Val. 63.12.

4 Adv. -πως marvellously or absurdly, Th. 7.30, Pl. Phd. 95b, al., Arist. EN 1136a12, etc.; ἀ. καθίζων, = ἀνυπόπτως, Eup. 180.

II non-spatial, τῆς ἰδέας μενούσης ἐν ἀτόπψ αὐτὸ τόπους γεννῆσαν Plot. 6.5.8. Adv. -πως non-spatially, opp. τοπικῶς, Porph. Sent. 33.

LSJ, s.v. “ἀτόπ-αστος, ον,” 272.
https://accordance.bible/link/read/LSJ#30126

Thx

D

@dfish@occ.edu: Hmmm... that is a good question. Dan found "paradoxical" in LSJ, but that isn't where the glosses are coming from. I have quite a few of the Greek lexicons in Accordance, and it's not getting the glosses from any of the usual suspects: UBS, Newman, Mounce...

Accordance has its own set of glosses in a file somewhere - this has come up before if I recall correctly. I don't know how they were originally derived.

thx

D