Underlying Greek Text for Strongs

Erhard

I have a question regarding the underlying text. This example is for Jude 5 where some translations say LORD and others say Jesus.

I heard the round table discussion from the LSB on this particular verse. They had said that the older manuscripts had Jesus not LORD.

The LSB, ESV and CSB translate it Jesus

The others translate it LORD

Note the Strong's numbers given for each instance. Only the ESV shows G2424 (Jesus), the other 2 show G2962 (LORD or kurios). Should the Strong's number for each text not line up with the translated word? i.e. the LSB and CSB should be showing G 2924 not G 2962

Jude 5 – the word for Jesus or LORD

LSB

Jesus  G2962  κύριος  kurios

NASB

Lord  G2962  κύριος  kurios

ESV

Jesus  G2424  Ἰησοῦς  Iēsous

CSB

Jesus  G2962  κύριος  kurios

NIV

Lord  GK G3261  κύριος  kurios

NKJV

Lord  G2962  κύριος   kurios

• Like 1

Yeah looks like a bad tag either that or they actually translated κύριος as Jesus which would be odd.

According to the LSB Notes:

Greek Text: The Legacy Standard Bible has the benefit of a number of critical Greek texts in determining the best variant reading to translate. The 27th edition of Eberhard Nestle’s Novum Testamentum Graece, supplemented by the 28th edition in the General Epistles, serve as the base text. On every variant reading the Society of Biblical Literature GNT as well as the Tyndale House GNT were also consulted. In the end, each decision was based upon the current available manuscript evidence.

Legacy Standard Bible Notes. Accordance electronic ed. (La Habra: The Lockman Foundation, 2021), paragraph 43.
https://accordance.bible/link/read/LSB_Notes#43

That would suggest they should be translating Ἰησοῦς. Tyndale also have Ίησοῦς and so does SBLGNT according to biblegateway.

So yep this looks like a tagging error - probably should be G2424 but the LSB tagger will have to confirm I expect. I wonder if the NASB tags it this way. Yep NASB 95 and 2020 both have Lord here and tag with G2962. Hmmm....

Thx

D

I guess the LSB has the Strong tagging from the NASB. And this is the worst tagging of all English Strong's Bibles.

I would do a correction report. 

Edited by Fabian

What I also find interesting is that L has the correct Strong's number for Jesus but BW like Accordance does not

I've submitted a correction report for this issue in the affected versions.

• Thanks 1