Couple of issues

Pastor Jonathan

When I open Accordance and start doing research on words several things happen.

1) Doing a wor search and key word search crashes the app.

2) The OT lexeme opens fine but the NT doesn't (using TDOT, TDOT aramaic, TDNT)

3) When going back to the same word, then clicking to do more research, the amplify button no longer comes up. 

Thanks for the help. 

Hi Jonathan,

With issues like this it can be helpful to know the Android version, the Accordance app version and the device.

1. I tried to reproduce this issue and could not. I can search an English text by word or key number fine. Could you provide an example search (text, what you searched for) that produces the crash ?

2. I tried TDOT from HMT and TDNT from NA28 Greek NT and both amplified by lexeme just fine.

3. This I cannot repro. either. I went from the second ἐγέννεσεν in Mt 1:6 to TDNT via Amplify -> Lexeme and then came back. The tapped and held on the it again and the ID came up and Search and Amplify buttons showed up. If you can provide a detailed example I can try that. A screen shot of what you see would be helpful too.

Also, if you get a crash you might be prompted to submit a crash report. Those to end up being available to the Acc developers so they are good to submit.

Thx

D

Edited by Λύχνις Δαν

8 hours ago, Λύχνις Δαν said:

Hi Jonathan,

With issues like this it can be helpful to know the Android version, the Accordance app version and the device.

1. I tried to reproduce this issue and could not. I can search an English text by word or key number fine. Could you provide an example search (text, what you searched for) that produces the crash ?

2. I tried TDOT from HMT and TDNT from NA28 Greek NT and both amplified by lexeme just fine.

3. This I cannot repro. either. I went from the second ἐγέννεσεν in Mt 1:6 to TDNT via Amplify -> Lexeme and then came back. The tapped and held on the it again and the ID came up and Search and Amplify buttons showed up. If you can provide a detailed example I can try that. A screen shot of what you see would be helpful too.

Also, if you get a crash you might be prompted to submit a crash report. Those to end up being available to the Acc developers so they are good to submit.

Thx

D

Thank you for the help. 

I am attaching everythin in an order:

1) Version number.

2) when I long click, everything comes up right. I can search or Amplify. 

3) I can search for Key Word or Number.

4) Doing a search for Word works great. 

5) I go back to search for Key Number and as you can see, the option is gone. 

6) Closing out the app, and restarting it brings it back. 

7) Then I click on Amplify and it brings up the three options. 

8) clicking on "Word" does nothing. 

9) Re clicking on the word brings up the definition, but no research options. I have to close it down first and restart. 

10) clicking on Key Number brings up the notice that the app has stopped an I need to restart.

11) clicking on Lexeme sometimes brings up resources, other times it just sits there doing nothing. 

12) Going back and reclicking on the same word, my search options are gone again. 

I will try to put screen shots of everything. 

I am not given the options to submit reports, and sometimes the Lexeme, just sits as if I didn't push anything. It does the same thing in the NT as well. 

I really appreciate the help. Thanks. 

Screenshot_2021-03-13-20-46-36.png

Screenshot_2021-03-13-20-47-30.png

Screenshot_2021-03-13-20-48-24.png

Screenshot_2021-03-13-20-49-02.png

Screenshot_2021-03-13-20-50-26.png

Screenshot_2021-03-13-20-51-09.png

Screenshot_2021-03-13-20-52-09.png

Screenshot_2021-03-13-20-53-42.png

Edited by Pastor Jonathan

Hmmm.... So I walked through your example here and I don't have a problem with either Word or Key number searches and coming back from the lexicon to the text. I am using the same version. I do note that the highlighted word is no longer highlighted and that might be construed as a problem, in some use cases, but you do come back to the same place.

I wonder now rather about your device. I have seen issues before now with an earlier device I had. What is the device you are using and what is the Android version ?

Thx

D

8 hours ago, Λύχνις Δαν said:

Hmmm.... So I walked through your example here and I don't have a problem with either Word or Key number searches and coming back from the lexicon to the text. I am using the same version. I do note that the highlighted word is no longer highlighted and that might be construed as a problem, in some use cases, but you do come back to the same place.

I wonder now rather about your device. I have seen issues before now with an earlier device I had. What is the device you are using and what is the Android version ?

Thx

D

I wonder. 

I am using an LG Stylo 4

Android 8.1.0

I have disabled all Google off my phone so Play and the other Google stuff is non functioning. 

On 3/14/2021 at 12:56 PM, Pastor Jonathan said:

I have disabled all Google off my phone so Play and the other Google stuff is non functioning. 

Good boy👍

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Fabian said:

Good boy👍

Yes. There are several companies I really do not like. 

Google, Microsoft, Apple, Facebook, Instagram, etc. 

Accordance is the ONLY reason I have not removed Windows off my other computer. If I can do my studying via web browser, Windows will be a long gone history.

I know there is a difference between web browser and a stand alone download, but if I can access my resources, and do my original language study, I don't need the notes, or book marks, or any of the other things. Just the ability to search and dig into the analytics of the word and have my resources.  

• Like 1

On 3/14/2021 at 4:56 AM, Pastor Jonathan said:

I wonder. 

I am using an LG Stylo 4

Android 8.1.0

Hmm... Ok I don't know exactly but I have had some somewhat similar issues, though with an earlier release of the app, previously on a device with 3GB RAM and yours appears to be a 2GB device. Are any other applications running ? Is this more likely to work for you immediately after restarting the device ?

Did you side load the app rather than using play store or do you enable play store just to load the app ? This is just curiosity on my part more than anything.

Thx

D

Edited by Λύχνις Δαν
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Λύχνις Δαν said:

Hmm... Ok I don't know exactly but I have had some somewhat similar issues, though with an earlier release of the app, previously on a device with 3GB RAM and yours appears to be a 2GB device. Are any other applications running ? Is this more likely to work for you immediately after restarting the device ?

Did you side load the app rather than using play store or do you enable play store just to load the app ? This is just curiosity on my part more than anything.

Thx

D

Thank you. 

I did try to to run it by itself and it was still acting like this. 

It was side loaded through APKPure. 

If I can figure it out, that would be good. As it is right now, it works but just takes a little more finnessing. 

Hi Jonathan! I work on the Android app so hopefully I can help diagnose and fix the issue for you.

Can you clarify the problem for me? I'm confused by the following:

On 3/13/2021 at 7:29 AM, Pastor Jonathan said:

Doing a word search and key word search crashes the app.

I can search for Key Word or Number.

Doing a search for Word works great.

1. Are you getting a crash every time or only sometimes when running a search?

2. Does it make any difference whether you (a) type and run a search in the top search bar or (b) select a word and then tap "Search" in Instant Details?

On 3/13/2021 at 7:29 AM, Pastor Jonathan said:

The OT lexeme opens fine but the NT doesn't (using TDOT, TDOT aramaic, TDNT)

3. Does this always happen? Either way it needs to be fixed—I'm just trying to narrow down the problem as much as possible so I know where to look :)

4. As a test case, I am able to Amplify by Lexeme from the "ESV with Strong's (Free)" to TDNT on the word "father" in Matthew 1:2. Does this work for you?

6 hours ago, Matt Robertson said:

Hi Jonathan! I work on the Android app so hopefully I can help diagnose and fix the issue for you.

Can you clarify the problem for me? I'm confused by the following:

1. Are you getting a crash every time or only sometimes when running a search?

2. Does it make any difference whether you (a) type and run a search in the top search bar or (b) select a word and then tap "Search" in Instant Details?

3. Does this always happen? Either way it needs to be fixed—I'm just trying to narrow down the problem as much as possible so I know where to look :)

4. As a test case, I am able to Amplify by Lexeme from the "ESV with Strong's (Free)" to TDNT on the word "father" in Matthew 1:2. Does this work for you?

Hey Matt,

Thank you for the help. I am going to go step by step on this so I make sure I am saying it right. I am using the NKJV with Strong's and I will run a test on both the OT and NT. 

ETA: Accordance is the only app running at the time I did all the following tests. 

I opened up my Bible to Genesis 1:7. 

I hold down on the word "firmament" and it brings up the two options: Search and Amplify. 

Selecting Search I am given the choices of Word and Key Number. 

I then select Word and the search pulls out the 17 flex results. 

I hit the back arrow and go back to Genesis 1:7. 

I hold down the same word and the box comes up, and I do not have the Search and Amplify options. 

So I close the App down and restart. 

Once back to Genesis 1:7, I hold down "firmament" again and the box comes back up with Search and Amplify options. 

I select Search and Key Number. The only thing that comes up for me is Genesis 1:1, the verse. 

I hit the back button and go back to Genesis 1:7.

When I hold down "firmament" again, the box comes up and I do not get the Search and Amplify options again. So I have to close down and restart the App. 

Back to Genesis 1:7, I hold down "firmament" to get the box with Search and Amplify, and select Amplify. 

From here I am given three options: Word, Key Number, Lexeme. 

I select Word and the box disappears and no search, no word, nothing to show it working happens. It just sits at Genesis. I hold down "firmament" again, and the box comes back up without search or amplify showing up. I restart back to Genesis 1:7, Amplify, and then select Key Number.

To answer the other question, when I select "Key Number", the app crashes all the time, so I am needing to restart this process again. Genesis 1:7, "firmament", Amplify, Lexeme is now chosen. 

Lexeme opens up to the resource that I have chosen at this time. I am able to move from one OT resource to another and back, so that is working. 

I hit the back arrow again and go to firmament again. Hold down the word and the box comes up without any Amplify option. I repeat the restart. 

Now to the New Testament. 

I am going to use Mark 9:25, the word "command". 

For the sake of redundancy, I will repeat the steps above. Here is the only differences:

Under Search, both Word and Key Number both work, but to go from Word to Key Number the other way around, I have to restart. 

I go back in to Command and then Amplify. 

Word - Does not do any search

Key Number - Crashes the App every time

Lexeme - Pulls up my resource for the Greek and I can go from one resource to another. 

Going back to Amplify though, and I have to restart the app. 

In both instances, I can select another word in another verse and everything will work fine but then I have to do the above in order to stay with that word. I cannot go back either. So if I select command, then another word, when I come back to command, it will still not give me the options. 

I appreciate your understanding, and I am sorry for the long way of posting this. I just wanted to make sure I am speaking clearly with what is going on so you can see what I am doing. Please don't take this as me patronizing. 

I really do appreciate the help and I look forward to helping any way I can. Thanks. 

Edited by Pastor Jonathan
To clarify one point mentioned earlier.

Hi Jonathan,

I went through your OT example and I cannot get a crash or problem with Search/Amplify. One thing on just one part of your example is that Amplify Word. Do you have a module selected in the Amplify -> English prefs ?

And the NT example (I used the word wilderness from Mark) worked fine though I noticed a problem which I'll open a separate thread on.

Thx

D

On 3/16/2021 at 8:25 PM, Λύχνις Δαν said:

Hi Jonathan,

I went through your OT example and I cannot get a crash or problem with Search/Amplify. One thing on just one part of your example is that Amplify Word. Do you have a module selected in the Amplify -> English prefs ?

And the NT example (I used the word wilderness from Mark) worked fine though I noticed a problem which I'll open a separate thread on.

Thx

D

I do. I checked it to make sure. 

I am not sure why it's not working for me. Really makes me wonder if it is my phone. 

I did download another resource to test and when I tried to delete it, it crashes as well. 

I don't know. Very curious.