What is the Go button for

ArnoldsBibleResource

A Go button sometimes appears underneath the Instant Display pane (not sure when and when not).

Selecting it gives errors such as the following:

• The language of the selected text is not used in the tool "tool_name"
  • In order to search for words, there must be a valid selection in the pane.
  • A verse reference selection cannot be used from any tool.

What is the button for, what are the expected results?

Thank you,

Arnold

The Go button should open the Instant Details content in a new screen. I've noticed this bug as well and am working on fixing it right now actually.

• Like 4

Cool! Thanks.

• Like 1

This should be fixed in the beta version update that is now available for beta testers in the Google Play Store. If you are a beta tester please give this a go in the new update and let me know if it's fixed your specific use case. Thanks everyone!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Go button works for me in the new beta

Thx

D

• Like 2

Kindly give an example/ context of how to get the Go button again.

Thanx,

Arnold

I opened a dictionary - Thayer I think and I found a verse reference. Tap and hold and get instant details up. The Go button will appear under it. Tap on it and you are taken to the text shown in the ID pane

Thx

D

• Like 2

Thanks Daniel. FYI you can also just tap the reference link in a tool, no need to tap and hold

• Like 2

Just now, Matt Robertson said:

Thanks Daniel. FYI you can also just tap the reference link in a tool, no need to tap and hold

So you can. Somehow I got the impression I had to do it that way. Thanx

D

• Like 1

On 3/8/2021 at 10:54 PM, Matt Robertson said:

Go button should open the Instant Details content in a new screen

Great, it works.

So the Go button is specifically (and only) to jump from a text reference in a tool (via the Instant Details display pane) to the referenced text?

2 minutes ago, ArnoldsBibleResource said:

Great, it works.

Good deal

2 minutes ago, ArnoldsBibleResource said:

So the Go button is specifically (and only) to jump from a text reference in a tool (via the Instant Details display pane) to the referenced text?

It essentially provides a quicker way to read a verse in context. If you're reading a lexicon, for example, and it shows that a word is used in Matt 1:18, you can tap "Matt 1:18" and see the verse in Instant Details. But it will show you only Matt 1:18 in Instant Details. If you want to see more of the surrounding context, you can tap "Go" and it will open Matt 1:18 in a new screen, from which you can expand your search to, e.g., all of Matt 1, read what you're interested in reading, and then press the Back button to return to the lexicon.

• Thanks 1

OK, if I may share.

What I find is that if the reference is to a single verse OT or NT, only that verse is displayed in the new screen after tapping Go. No context.

There isn't an option in the new screen to further expand the search.

If I tap a reference of a range of consecutive verses, e.g. Genesis 2:4-4:26, or Genesis 11:1-9, the new screen shows those verses. Also no further expansion.

29 minutes ago, Matt Robertson said:

press the Back button to return to the lexicon

Also to quickly share, there were the odd instances where Back did not return from the new screen. It got stuck and I had to double tap and open a new resource. (I haven't been able to replicate at will, but it did happen a few times.)

33 minutes ago, ArnoldsBibleResource said:

No context.

OK, perhaps I found a way to expand.

• Once the referenced text is displayed in the new screen, tap right at the top where the verse reference displays in the search bar that opens.
  • Tap x to clear the search bar.
  • The full text then displays above and below the referenced verse.

I played with this a bit and I think the problem is that there is no search context preference setting like there is on the desktop app. If there were it could use that to determine how much context to display. You can adjust context on each individual search but there isn't a setting for the default that I could find.

Thx

D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK, if I may share.

What I find is that if the reference is to a single verse OT or NT, only that verse is displayed in the new screen after tapping Go. No context.

There isn't an option in the new screen to further expand the search.

If I tap a reference of a range of consecutive verses, e.g. Genesis 2:4-4:26, or Genesis 11:1-9, the new screen shows those verses. Also no further expansion.

I wish to present an additional perspective.

The Go button (Android) seems to appear ONLY(?) after having tapped a Text reference, and the verse(s) then displaying in the Instant Display pane; and then displaying the new screen with selected verse(s).

(So it's not a search function as such that is executed, but displaying the verse. Context isn't an issue.)

So, now for the fun

• Tap the verse reference and get the Instant Display pane.
  • Tap Go to get the new screen displaying the referenced verse(s).
  • Tap and hold a (significant) word of the displayed verse (I guess this should be of a tagged Bible?)
  • Ha! Now one gets the Search and Amplify buttons for further studies of the selected word.

Very cool!

Thx
Arnold

14 minutes ago, ArnoldsBibleResource said:

Tap and hold

Perhaps this could be changed to single tap?

Instant Details (I'll refer to it as ID) is pretty intelligent and context-aware, so what it displays will depend a lot on what you are tapping. First it depends on whether you are in a Text (any biblical text or some other writings like the Apostolic Fathers) or a Tool (a dictionary, commentary, theological book, etc.)

In a text, it depends on whether the text is tagged and the type of tagging. Texts can be tagged either morphologically (like the GNT-28 or HMT-W4) or by key number (like the ESVS, KJVS, etc). It also will only work on words that are tagged. So if a single Hebrew/Greek word is rendered by two words in English (e.g., "was walking" may translate a single Greek participle) then only one of the two English words will be tagged, and doing a tap-and-hold on the other word will not show any Instant Details information.

If you are in an untagged text, ID on a word will show you analytics (the # of times the word appears) and your English dictionary entry for that word if one is available. If you are in a tagged text you will also see lexical information for the word. "Search" allows you to run a search for that word (by word, key number, lexeme, etc., depending on the tagging available) and "Amplify" will open the dictionary entry for that word if one is available.

In a Text with a companion "Notes" module (e.g., "ESV with Strong's" and "ESV with Strong's Notes") ID on a verse reference in the text will show you the associated info from the "Notes" module.

In a Tool module, tapping or tap-and-hold on a verse reference link will display the verse text in ID, with a "Go" option to display the verse in the module in a new screen. As you mentioned, tapping the "x" to clear the search in the new screen will allow you to see the entire verse in context.

• Like 1

Matt,

Thanks for this wealth of information.

Much appreciated!

Arnold

• Like 1