How to get user notes off iPad (Dropbox not working??)

Ιακοβ

For some reason my user notes are not on my mac. I did do an upgrade recently, its probably to do with that. Anyway, this means I only have my several years of notes on my iPad. My notes are not syncing from my iPad to my laptop. I tried reconnecting the iPad to a new blank dropbox account and the iPad creates a bunch of folders in that new blank dropbox account, but the iPad doesn't upload the notes folder. It appears there is definitely something wrong with dropbox sync on iOS.

How do I get this file off my iPad. (I do not have wifi in this house.) only mobile data and tethering.

After having lost my full set of notes from inside accordance twice now over the years, (for reasons I don't understand), I am quite a bit frustrated about this. Last time this happened I was like "Accordance notes are so convenient, I want to quit using them but I will give them one last go as they do seem great" but this time around I am ready to give up on it. The notes feature is great while they work but then eventually you loose everything after a year or so, so there's not much point in taking notes in accordance is there? I feel really bad venting my frustration as I love accordance so much and plan to use it forever, but this notes feature causes huge amounts of stress, especially as the amount of notes grows. Perhaps accordance should take monthly snapshots of the notes files onto their servers so they can make sure notes aren't ever lost or something like that??

(An added complication to my specific situation is the last dropbox account I was using assumedly has the files, but I have moved countries and dropbox refuses to allow me to sign in from the new country I am living in now. I could possibly spend $1100 flying a round trip back just to sign in to drop box to pick up my notes, but that doesn't seem worth it and it would require 2 weeks of quarantine in both countries to do that )

Edited by Ιακοβ

Sorry to hear about the syncing complications. You could try connecting your iPad to your mac with a USB cable to extract your files. 

When I connect my iPhone (on macOS Catalina), I can view the Accordance Files after clicking on my iPhone in the Locations section in a Finder window:

post-406-0-72320300-1612791687_thumb.png

I was able to drag the User Notes folder to a folder on my Mac.

Let us know if you are able to use this method to extract your User Notes. Also, I would be curious about the contents of your User Notes folder (conflicted copies, etc)

Mike

Edited by Mike Garrity
  • Like 1

I tried opening up the user notes file on iPad and selecting all of the text. There’s no “select all” on that view, so it took ages to select the top of the text then finger drag downwards to select all of the text then press copy. When I pressed copy, Accordance instantly crashed without anything being placed in the clipboard. It does seem like there is some sort of bug in the process of converting the text to clipboard text.

I have’t plugged my iPad into my computer for years, so it didn’t occur to me to try that. What a great idea. I’ll try it right now. 

Edited by Ιακοβ

It turns out I can get the "Study Notes" file off my iPad via USB. But when I went to place it in the folder on my desktop computer, it turns out there is already a "Study Notes" file on my desktop. But it just doesn't appear in accordance. The mystery deepens.

If I had to guess, I would guess that there is something about this notes file (that is usually only used on my iPad), that makes it not operable on desktop accordance).

post-33292-0-30914300-1612834238_thumb.png

It turns out I can get the "Study Notes" file off my iPad via USB. But when I went to place it in the folder on my desktop computer, it turns out there is already a "Study Notes" file on my desktop. But it just doesn't appear in accordance. The mystery deepens.

The User Notes Toolbar list is showing you the "Installed" User Notes. To install the "Study Notes" file you can either use Accordance > File > Open  OR  double click on the "Study Notes" file in the Finder. 

Interesting. Double clicking on it in the finder brought it back into Accordance. Now I wonder why it disappeared in the first place. 

EDIT: I merged the iPad notes file with the desktop notes file (using the merge feature), the resulting notes file is now not openable at all.

Edited by Ιακοβ

Are you using Accordance 13.1.5?

What is the file extension of the notes files?