Darken all text in Windows programs, including in Accordance

Michel Gilbert

Does anyone know if a graphics card will darken all text in all programs in Windows, including Accordance? The text in all programs on my Mac mini is darker than in all programs on my new Windows desktop, that is, on the same monitors. I have already tried Clear Type.

Thanks.

Michel

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Michel.  I'm curious about your post, but don't know exactly what you mean?  Could you be any more specific / descriptive?  You aren't talking about a "dark mode" scenario are you?

Hi Toma,

I don’t mean dark mode. I mean blacker text, e.g., in Word. I used to use Word in a Windows VM on my Mac mini, and now that I’ve built a new Windows desktop, I use Word in it. On the Mac VM the text was blacker, using the same monitor. I’ve checked this with both monitors I own – typical Samsung and Dell 1920x1080 HD monitors. I’ve also tried all of the settings on both of them. So, I was wondering if a dedicated graphics card would make all text blacker on my new desktop compared to the onboard Intel® UHD Graphics 630.

If it helps, I have a pretty good machine, an ASUS H470M (Intel® 10th Gen) mb, 10th Gen i5 with UHD 630 graphics, M.2 SSD, 32 GB RAM (expandable to 128), W10 Home. Yet, the text is blacker on my 2014 Mac mini. The text on the new desktop is a very dark shade of gray that does not compare to the dark black of the Mac mini.

Thanks.

Michel

Hi Michel,

I'm not expert on this, but I did some reading recently on a question of why Mac screens look sharper (in general) than PC screens.  Here's a snippet:

"The software that performs the magic is called the font renderer. On a Mac, it's part of the Quartz engine. On Windows, it's called ClearType. You'll also notice that color representation is a bit better in OS X too."

https://superuser.com/questions/969694/why-fonts-on-mac-os-x-look-much-nicer-than-on-windows-when-using-the-same-hardwa

Hope you are well.

Edited by TYA
  • Thanks 1