What is a Hebrew Letters search?

Iconoclaste

What is a Hebrew Letters search? I think I understand what it is, and what its purpose is, but I cannot find any documentation on it in the Accordance Help. I did a google search of the Accordance website, but did not find anything. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am new to Accordace. I want to search the Hebrew Tanach for all words with a mappiq heh (a final heh with a dot/dagesh in the center). For example, the hebrew word halleluyah.

Even a list of all words with a dotted heh in any position would work as I doubt there are too many. But I cannot figure out how to search for the dotted heh.

Is this possible with Accordace?

Yes. In a text tab with the search text set to a module of the Tanakh (either “Hebrew Bible Tagged” or “Biblica Hebraica Stuttgartensia Tagged”), set the search option to “Words”.

1) Type in a quotation mark "

2) Type in the equal symbol =

3) Type in the asterisk symbol *

4) Type in the letter heh ה

5) Hit the semi-colon (I presume you are using the standard English US keyboard) on your keyboard to type in the dagesh/mappiq/shuruq symbol.

6) Type in another quotation mark "

7) Hit return and enjoy.

NB Although they are technically all different vowel points, Accordance treats the dagesh, the mappiq, and the shuruq as the same symbol, since it is only the usage, not the location or shape of the dot that makes any difference between one symbol and the other. 

• Like 1

Also, ssilver31, I don't know how knowledgable you are in the Hebrew of the Tanakh, but do you have any idea why there is a mappiq apparently on the word אֱעֱשֶׂהּ–לּוֹ in Genesis 2:18?

Thank you so much. That worked.

I would love to hear the reason for the dot in the Lamed.

Also, how would I take the word search for the mappiq heh and make a count of each individual word?

Because Accordance tags words and affixes as separate words, you'd have do two searches. 

First do the search I told you. Click on the analytics button and select the “Analysis Tab”. By default it will show you the lexemes that were found, but that list is incomplete from the perspective of your question, because it shows 1993 (or so) results that have no lexical form (probably all of them are the 3rd feminine suffix, which is not a lexeme.)

The other thing to do is to open a Hebrew construct search (from the “New Tab” submenu of the “File” menu).
Add to the first column the blue item “LEX” with *
Add to the second column the blue item “INFLECT” with הּ*=

Then place the “WITHIN” connecting item between the two and leave the number to 1.

If you run those two searches and look at the analysis tab for both, you will have a list of all the lexemes on which a mappiq occurs. To see the inflected forms in the analysis tab, click on the gear icon and select “Set Text Display”. Move the “INFLECT” item to the 1st column.

• Like 1