Blog: "Wall-to-Wall Books" (David Lang)

R. Mansfield

Last week, David Lang's OCD was in full swing at the Accordance HQ in Florida. Read all about it in "Wall-to-Wall Books" at the Accordance Blog!

• Like 3

Well done, David! Looks great.

Also, I've already given up trying to guess how you organized them. It's not by publisher, it's not ROYGBIV, and it's not even resource type, since the grammars break up commentaries at one point. Still looks good.

What do you do for incomplete series, though, in the middle of the shelf, when a new volume is released?  :blink:  

• Like 2

What do you do for incomplete series, though, in the middle of the shelf, when a new volume is released?  :blink:  

I would think that if we get a new volume of an updated series, we place it sideways on top of the other books in the series. That will eat away at David. He won't be able to leave it alone. Even if he has to rearrange everything, he will get it in place one way or another!

• Like 3

Maybe he can just take any future print books you get and scan to PDF, so he doesn’t have to add anything to the shelves.

Some of the videos have these shelves as the background. I wondered if it was real or if it was a poster--it looks so beautiful with all the sets together like that.

A.D.

Some of the videos have these shelves as the background. I wondered if it was real or if it was a poster--it looks so beautiful with all the sets together like that.

A.D.

Next ... use a photo of the shelves as a virtual background. :P

But yes, a library of bound volumes projects a professional image. To David Lang - nice work!

Thanks to all my fellow bibliophiles for the affirmation.

As I said in the post, we typically get PDFs from publishers now. It's cheaper for them, and they're easier for us to search. So I wasn't worried too much about squeezing in new volumes of commentary sets. That's kind of the amazing thing. Many of the commentary sets you see on the shelves represent the first release of each commentary, and we now have many more volumes of those sets in Accordance.

In terms of the overall system of organization, it's a mix of resource type and aesthetics. At the far left I have original language texts and lexicons, then English Bible dictionaries and handbooks. Most of the rest are commentary sets, and most of those I left roughly where they had already been placed. I did move a couple of sets around, but mainly just because I wanted to feature the better-looking sets. If I were really OCD, or had a degree in library science, I could certainly refine it further! :-)