Footnote Letters

hardyf86

Consider making it possible to export text with search words bolded, but without footnote superscripts. I can get rid of the footnote marks by using Edit | Copy As | Citation, but this also gets rid of the bolding that shows me where my hits are. Similarly, I can keep the bolding (by copying as a Citation), but that retains the footnote marks. I’d love to able to separate these two factors (hit bolding, footnote superscripts). Currently I have to choose or reject them as a group. Actually, I can easily imagine a world where no footnote superscript ever sees the light in an export. This, for me, would be the perfect solution, i.e., just to dump the footnote superscripts altogether. The only place they are useful is on screen, where they serve as live links. There they are useful; everywhere else they are not. Thanks for a great product!

• Like 1

Hardy, if you simply use Edit | Copy As | No Superscript, you'll retain the bold hit information, but all footnotes (and other superscripts) will be removed.  Lots of people even map Ctrl+C to Copy As No Superscript instead of standard Copy.  Let me know if this helps!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/18/2021 at 2:24 PM, hardyf86 said:

Actually, I can easily imagine a world where no footnote superscript ever sees the light in an export. This, for me, would be the perfect solution, i.e., just to dump the footnote superscripts altogether. The only place they are useful is on screen, where they serve as live links. There they are useful; everywhere else they are not.

I'll endorse that. I use the menu selection File->Save Text Selection->Plain Text… as part of my regular workflow, but with the advent of footnotes and their references the footnote links come along in plain text. I truly want a plain text file as my result, but end up with the footnote letters—which no longer refer to anything.

Please consider that as a enhancement request. It's hard to imagine enhancing Accordance, which I've used for many years, and especially since this version is so attractive and useful, but this functional change would truly make sense.

• Like 1

In your Bibliography preferences, you can choose to "Hide Superscripts."