Text comparison with imported bible texts

Elijah

No text differences are highlighted user imported bibles. Is that supposed to be the case? Are only official modules supported for text comparison?

I couldn't find any information regarding this in the forum or the Accordance help.

Ich weiss nicht ob ich dir antworten soll. Du bedankst dich nie oder äusserst selten.

Aber ich probier es nochmals.

Wenn die Benutzerbibel in Unicode ist, aber die Bibel in Accordance als MacOS Roman, dann geht es nicht. Für deutsche Texte musst du MacOS Roman nehmen oder Win Latin1.  Musst ausprobieren. Auf dem Mac muss ich macOS Roman nehmen. 

Du kannst das in Notepad++ oder in anderen Texteditoren machen. 

Grüsse

Fabian

I found the following information in the Accordance help:

• The text must be one of the following:
    • A plain text file (.txt) in Roman script and use only standard characters such as those in the Times New Roman font.
    • The text can also be created using a UTF8 or UTF16 encoded Unicode font. This is used for non-Western languages such as Russian or Chinese, or European languages with special characters.
    • Verse references in the text file must use standard ASCII characters, no special Unicode characters.
  • The file must be saved with ANSI encoding. 

Like Fabian wrote it seems to be an encoding issue. I have a text that uses for example 〈 〉and because it is unicode it would be converted to <> in ANSI, which doesn't look as nice. It It also causes a problem, because now Accordance interprets it as html tags. So I replaced <> with [] and could import the text (ANSI encoding according to Notepad++).

For some reason German Umlaute (üöä) are not imported/displayed correctly. In Notepad / Notepad++ the text looks correct.

post-29973-0-96387900-1609427269_thumb.jpg

I also created a new ANSI file and added üöä and then imported it to Accordance. It had the same issue (üöä are valid ANSI characters, so I don't understand what the problem is). So this is a separate issue.

Regarding the original question:

To me the Accordance help is not quite clear regarding ANSI and UTF-8. At least I wouldn't be able to figure out the necessary format if I wouldn't have stumpled upon the text-comparison issue.

It should somehow make clear that text-coparision is not possible with UTF-8 text where it says "The text can also be created using a UTF8 or UTF16 encoded Unicode font."

If it hasn't be requested already: It would be great to have unicode support for text comparison. At least to Accordance help could be a bit more detailed in my view as a start.

Edited by Elijah
  • Like 1

Hello

Yes the Windows Help files miss the information about the encoding. And so I know the UTF16 support is canceled. On Win and Mac. 

Sometimes I use the https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anführungszeichen ‹ ›   https://accordance.bible/link/search/LEO-NT-GKE?.‹ wie die Leonberger. 

Regarding the encoding issue: I'm using Accordance on Windows 10 and with Notepad or Notepad++ it is not possible to generate the encoding that is expected in Accordance. I used a python script to save the file in macroman encoding:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/48602087/how-to-open-macos-text-file-correctly-on-win

After importing with macroman the üöä characters are displayed correctly and I also can compare with other texts:

post-29973-0-96673800-1609442922_thumb.jpg

So the request for unicode support still is relevant regarding text comparison, but this encoding-issue (currently macroman encoding is necessary) should also be addressed to make it more straight forward for Windows users.

Thanks to Fabian for the hint regarding encodings.

Edited by Elijah

So Notepad++ is not an option. Which one use the Accordance staff on Windows that can MacOS Roman?