Spaces/ Focus Keeps Shifting

David Garrison

I make a lot of use of Spaces in macOS, and usually have multiple Accordance windows open across different spaces.  Typically, I have a condensed workspace sitting beside Pages in fullscreen, and a separate workspace for research and study.

Across many OS versions now, I've had the same problem:  When I click on one workspace to 'activate' it, I'm then switched to the other workspace. It's happened in both directions, but most often when I'm writing in Pages, and want to check something in the Accordance workspace that's next to it in Split View.  Instead of getting that workspace, I'm switched to the other workspace.  Usually, just switching back straightens it out, but I just had a moment where Accordance stubbornly refused to allow me to use the workspace I wanted.

I don't know if this is an Accordance issue or an OS issue, but I've only experienced it with Accordance.  Granted, that is probably because Accordance is the only program I use this way.

macOS 11.0.1

Accordance 13.1.4

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)

2.9 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5

8GB RAM

It took me a LONG time to figure this out originally. I have had no problem with the latest versions. I use multiple monitors and multiple desktops. First thing, your dock must be on the monitor that you are setting up the desktop. The second thing to do is that once Accordance is up and running, move it to the desktop you desire. Then go to the Accordance icon in the dock on Ctrl+click, hold and scroll to the options. It is there that you set the location you want Accordance to reside. I have mine set for "Desktop 5 on Display 1". You may have to do this in two steps. That is, first set it to the right display. They set it to the right desktop on that display.

This way when I want to go to Accordance I use "Ctrl+5" and it automatically goes there. It is funny there are many times that I use a dock only on the left side of my most left monitor. Display 1, for me is my right monitor. If I want to change which desktop Accordance lives, I then have to make sure that the Dock is on both monitors, so that means moving it to the bottom of my monitor.

This system has been working great. I am running an old MacBook 13 inch with Bug Sur, and the latest Accordance. It is running smoothly for me. But like I said, it took me a whole bunch of time to figure out how to get it set up right.

Maybe your system has something else going on, but I had enough troubles on this to think this one is solvable.

Happy Computing.

Edited by jimpurcell

Thanks for the feedback, Jim.  I appreciate it and will use it to troubleshoot.

But, I'm not using multiple monitors...just multiple Spaces.

• 2 weeks later...

David, I have reproduced the problem.  I'll see if I can fix it.