Webinar: Bridging the Hebrew/Greek Divide: New Possibilities with the CATSS Database in Accordance

R. Mansfield

Don't miss "Bridging the Hebrew/Greek Divide: New Possibilities with the CATSS Database in Accordance" presented by Joel Brown at 2 PM EST today. This is a free webinar, but please register here.

The CATSS database has enabled rich philological study of the Masoretic text and the Septuagint in recent years, but a more powerful, computer-based utilization of the data has remained elusive. With the aid of computer software like Accordance, more refined, precise, and complex textual analysis is now possible. This talk will detail some of the new techniques available, centering on a live demonstration of the new capabilities. These techniques include more accurately finding alignments (or lack thereof) between the texts; combining CATSS data with other textual features, such as morphology, root, or syntax; linking to other related texts like the Targums; and restricting query results based on whether the LXX equivalent was a compression or expansion. The goal of this talk is both to demonstrate the new potential of computer-based study and to enable scholars to integrate these techniques into their own research.

This will be a presentation of the paper given at SBL/AAR 2020, with additional focus on how to accomplish the searches in Accordance, as well as additional opportunities for questions.

• Like 1

Will this be recorded? I would love to follow it, but my schedule doesn't permit it this time around.  :(

• Like 1

Will this be recorded? I would love to follow it, but my schedule doesn't permit it this time around.  :(

Yes, it will be recorded. If you register for the webinar, you'll receive an email when it's over with a link to the recording.

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Like 2

We will also make it available for those who didn't register for the webinar. 

• Like 1

Really informative presentation - didn't realize the versatility of this feature.

Many thanx to Joel, and you guys for putting it on.

Thx

D

• Like 2

Thank you to all who organise this behind the scenes but thank you joel, really informative and helpful. Just as well that its recorded as this will probably be repeat viewed many times!

;o) 

• Like 1

This is so awesome and SO Accordance!

I just love that someone with Joel's position and responsibilities is so knowledgeable and passionate about the program’s design and functionality.

Edited by Brian W. Davidson
  • Like 1

I enjoyed the presentation.

• Like 1

After watching Joel’s second presentation, I opened the Modern Hebrew NT with Strong’s, did a search for לב , opened the TEXT command to search for καρδια (‎[GNT28-T καρδια] @=לֵב‏) and got 17 hits. Amazing stuff.

• Like 3

Joel's webinar was superb. I attempted to duplicate Joel's searches and was able to do that on the first ones, but am puzzled that on two others, I am doing the exact same search he is but getting different numbers of hits. Can anyone point me to why I'm getting different results? (At least I think I'm doing identical searches.)

Here are descriptions of the two searches. I thought I could attach screen shots but I haven't figured out how to do that.

PUZZLING SEARCH # 1

Searching in HMT-W4 using the TEXT command to find [LXX1 θεoς] in the range Genesis-Leviticus in Rahlf’s LXX. The exact search is  [LXX1 θεος][RANGE gen-lev]. For this search Joel got 651 hits but I get only 570 hits. As far as I can tell I’m using the same θεoς that he is and all other parameters identical, but no matter what I do I cannot get his results. I’m observing that in the analytics, our numbers match in every instance for lexical forms other than ’elohim, but for ’elohim I have way fewer hits. 

PUZZLING SEARCH # 2

This search is for instances where the LXX uses an expansion of 4-10 words with ποιεω where the HMT-W4 uses only one word. The exact search is [LXX1 #4-10=#1 ποιεω]Joel got 7 hits but no matter what I try, get 0 hits. I appear to be doing the identical search.

If anyone can help explain what I'm doing different, I'd be grateful.
Edited by Ken Hall

Hi Ken,

Puzzle 1. I get 651 running the search from the search box:  [LXX1 θεος]‏ [RANGE gen-lev]

In the construct if I select Insert text -> Lexical forms... and select the second θεός then I get 651 also.

Could it be a version thing ? Are all your modules up to date ? What version of Accordance are you on ?

Puzzle 2. This one also works for me. Here I had more difficulty because I tried to cut and paste from your post. Once I entered it all myself either from the dialog or typing it was fine.

Perhaps if you included a screenshot I might be able to spot something amiss.

Thx

D

Yes it was great. Now we expect the feature for the BHQ :D

Maybe this feature would then work for the Greek (from GNT to LXX) too.

Ken:

Thanks for taking a listen to the webinar.  What you are doing is 100% correct, there were just some bugs in the release version of Accordance that were found in preparation for the seminar, so I was running a beta of the new version.  Development is almost done, so you should see the new version this week or shortly after.  Daniel (דָנִיאֶל) is likely running the beta.  These bugs address both the extra hits you refer to (570 v 651) and the lack of hits when searching for the expansion.  If I remember correctly, the latter bug was an issue only when trying to specify the length of *both* LXX1 and HMT-W4.  Until the new version is released, you can do a similar search by only doing:   [LXX1 #4-10 ποιεω]

Fabian:

TEXT command makes sense when going between similar verses, so attempting GNTLXX is simply not applicable.

• Like 1

Ken:

Daniel (דָנִיאֶל) is likely running the beta.  These bugs address both the extra hits you refer to (570 v 651) and the lack of hits when searching for the expansion.  If I remember correctly, the latter bug was an issue only when trying to specify the length of *both* LXX1 and HMT-W4.  Until the new version is released, you can do a similar search by only doing:   [LXX1 #4-10 ποιεω]

Guilty as charged. :) I did wonder if that might be the problem.

Thx

D

For those who didn't see this webinar, I'll have it posted on our site by the end of the week.

Joel, thanks so much for your clarification of what's going on! No problem waiting a few days for the bugs to get fixed. Meanwhile I'm enjoying the text command and I appreciate your emphasis on how to use it well.

Daniel (דָנִיאֶל), thanks for your input. It's good to be part of a community in which others are doing similar types biblical study.

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, Matthew Wilson said:

Hi - Is this still available? I cannot find it on the webinar page. 

Thank you!

Just register and the video will show up