Accordance on MacBook Air M1

Larry Wing

For those who might be interested, I've installed Accordance 13 on a Macbook Air M1 with Big Sur and what few tests I've run have been fine.

A couple comments for clarification. When I installed another utility app that I knew was not officially designed for Big Sur nor M1 I was presented with an Apple dialog about downloading Rosetta2 to run the app. I did do that and for the most part it seems to be OK. 

After installing a few other apps I installed Accordance and other than a self-inflicted problem the install went fine. No dialog about Rosetta2 so I assume the prior install works for all subsequent apps. I wasn't sure if that would be the case or if Rosetta2 worked something like WINE.

The Air M1 configuration I'm using is 8gb RAM and 512 SSD and Big Sur.( Seems strange to not have to mention the CPU level.)

Compared to an Air 2020 with I3, 8gb ram, 256 SSD, and Catalina 10.5.7 everything seems a little faster on startup.  Not exactly scientific testing (press enter and start on stopwatch on iPhone). Air i3 5.64 sec and M1 3.2.  Doing a full Research on spirit, father, God (single flex word search) resulted in close times.  I'm not sure the improved 2 seconds is due to M1 or Big Sur.

• Like 1

Seems strange to not have to mention the CPU level.

Geekbench says that my M1 MBP is 3.2 Ghz. I assume it will be same for the MBA.

Geekbench says that my M1 MBP is 3.2 Ghz. I assume it will be same for the MBA.

A lot of discussion I'm seeing implies that Apple will likely be moving away from publicizing CPU speed in the future.  They don't state it for iOS devices either.  CPU speed has been becoming much less relevant than other things with performance and makes it a false metric anyway.  

With their UMA architecture and the speed of the new SSDs / fast bus, the amount of memory has been discussed as a candidate for non-publication/configuration as well.  In the near future, it might not meaningfully matter how much memory is packaged except in exceptional (aka Pro level) circumstances  — which is also not reported on iOS devices.  Some developers I know have been getting better compile performance out of an 8GB RAM M1 Mac than a fully loaded 32GB iMac, so this may not be an empty claim.

I'm pretty old school and like knowing all the details, but I can see the logic — when your machines exceptionally meet the needs of the purpose of the device, is the CPU speed or amount of memory that meaningful?  At the end of the day, benchmarks would be a much better metric.   Do I care what CPU or memory my iPhone has along as it does what I need exceptionally well?

• Like 3