How to find all English translations of a Hebrew word or phrase

Michel Gilbert

Hi,

What would be the most efficient way to find out how a word or phrase in the Hebrew Bible is translated in all of the English Bibles that I own? I rarely, if ever, work with English Bibles, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Michel

• Like 1

Hi Michel,

The best idea I have right now is the Text Browser to look up the relevant verse. You can limit the Text Browser to a group and so you can pick your English bibles that way. If however, you are looking for the same verb or phrase anywhere it occurs then I would use the KEY value/s. For a phrase this would be a bit painful but for a single word not so bad, but you cannot alas just select the word and do "Copy as KEYs" which would be nice.

You can do [TEXT ...] queries but they have to be done in each English text which is a bit tedious. But you could do  [HMT-W4 =הָעֲבָרִים] for example and then add a bunch of LINKed tabs one per version you want.

Ok, so here is something that may work.

Open a Research tab

Select the English Bibles group

Enter something like  [HMT-W4 =הָעֲבָרִים] into the search box.

Hit enter.

There is one slight hitch - research doesn't populate the text box pulldown for the source text for the TEXT command the way a single search tab does. So you cannot just do CMD-T in a Research tab select the HMT/BHS or whatever and put your text in. So either type [HMT-W4 and paste your text and close the ] or use a search tab to create the query and then copy it to the Research tab.

I tried this for  [HMT-W4 כִֽי־יְבִֽיאֲךָ֣ יְהוָ֡ה אֶל־אֶ֣רֶץ]  and it brought up a result list of 8 English bibles.

thx

D

Edited by דָנִיאֶל
  • Like 2

You can turn on Live Click and have it set to search your Bible Texts that have Strongs tagging and then select the analytics and then the bar graph.

post-1391-0-99764100-1605563788_thumb.png

• Like 2

Thank you דָנִיאֶל and John. I will definitely use both kinds of searches.

דָנִיאֶל, I opened a Research Tab, made a Custom Group of English Bibles, and I'm having trouble duplicating your search, [HMT-W4 כִֽי־יְבִֽיאֲךָ֣ יְהוָ֡ה אֶל־אֶ֣רֶץ]. I copied and pasted it and tried English, Hebrew, Verses, and Unicode searches. I also tried with an equals sign. First, which of the four should the search be run in, English? And second, why didn't I get any results?

Thanks again.

Run the search in English, but it'll only work with texts that have been tagged with Strongs or GK numbers since that's how the program associates the Hebrew and English together. 

• Like 2

Thanks Jonathan. I have the KJV, NKJV, NASB, NRSV, NET, HCSB, CSB, ESV, and JPS with Strong's numbers, and NIV with G/K and Mounce NT with enhanced G/K numbers in my English Bibles group. When I asked the original question, I knew the answer probably had to do with groupings and key numbers, and linking texts without key numbers. The responses have already been very helpful. But, I don't get any results in my key numbered texts with Daniel's search.

Edit: I just started all over, and Daniel's example worked. I got ten hits. Thanks everyone.

Edited by Michel Gilbert
  • Like 3