searching for singular readings in CNTTS

DaveH

In the CNTTS Apparatus introductory materials, the variation type Z is defined as "Singular, this variation unit only has a single Greek witness to what might be a significant reading or only has Latin support." However, in actual usage a search for variation type Z points to textual variants that have many supporting manuscripts. Am I misunderstanding? I would like to use the CNTTS module in Accordance to find all the places where a particular manuscript, P66 for instance, has a reading that no other manuscript has. Is this possible? How can it be done?

It seems to me that comparing the density of singular readings of manuscripts would be a fairly objective indicator of the relative quality of those manuscripts, so the searches I am trying to do could be meaningful.

- Dave Hagelberg

• 3 weeks later...

In response to an email, Bill Warren (Director of the Center for New Testament Textual Studies) explained, 

"A Z unit can have more than one variant listed, and even more than a single witness for a “1” level variant, but only has a single witness to any variant that would be considered “significant” in the sense of a variant that involved a transposition, replacement, addition, or omission. 

On your P66 question, you should be able to open a second search option, with P66 in the first window and then “and” for a second window with only 50 category units specified (those in the 50 category are singular readings."

So it seems like the key is not the "Z" but rather the classification in the 50's. My thanks to Bill Warren of CNTTS.

- Dave H

• Like 1

I would like to use the CNTTS module in Accordance to find all the places where a particular manuscript, P66 for instance, has a reading that no other manuscript has. Is this possible? How can it be done?

Hi Dave,

I asked a similar question some time ago and was able to get a little bit of a handle on this kind of question. You can find the conversation here:

https://forums.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/27766-question-about-the-n-a28-or-cntts-critical-apparatus/?hl=cntts

It took a little fishing around to get the results I was looking for. The most helpful posts are probably the last four or so.