User Bible works in Acc. 12 but not in Acc 13

danielccbc

I have Accordance 12 installed on my macbook and Accordance 13 on my iMac. 

On Acc. 12 I have a user Bible that imports just fine (retried it again) but the very same file doesn't import into Acc 13 on my iMac. It says that the text is corrupted from the beginning. So very first word aften Gen 1:1 makes it impossible to import it. 

Any suggestions?

• Like 1

What encoding is the text file?  If you're importing english, I recommend changing the encoding to Mac Roman.

So very first word aften Gen 1:1 makes it impossible to import it. 

This is a typically error message if the encoding is in UTF-8 with BOM. Use UTF-8. (Without the BOM).

Fabian

Fabian, I am not familiar with "BOM" what is that?

Silas, for some reason the built in texteditor won't let me do that anymore. What texteditor do you recommend? 

BOM is a 'Byte Order Marker' - its an optional part of unicode specs to help determine the byte order.

For text editors, I highly recommend BBEdit for this type of work.  Though it's in theory a paid product, after the 30 days you can use its more limited, but still extremely functional, free version as long as you like.

https://www.barebones.com

After downloading check this two in the Preferences. 

post-32723-0-35914100-1605130832_thumb.png

You can then change it on the bottom here.

post-32723-0-17710700-1605130870_thumb.png

For RTL (Hebrew, Arabic Right to left)or CJK writing systems (Japanese, Chinese from top to down) the https://apps.apple.com/ch/app/coteditor/id1024640650?l=en&mt=12 is great.

And as Silas wrote: If it is English or a language which use the MacRoman then this is to prefer.

Edited by Fabian

Thanks to both of you. The BBEdit helped. It couldn't save as MacRoman, but the BBEdit showed me why. There was a 1/2 included about 15 places in the text and MacRoman and Accordance couldn't handle that. So now it works. Thanks a lot. 

• Like 2

Yes, BBEdit does show what is going on in files that may cause issues with other software. It is a good tool to use when files are creating issues and you can't think why. Whatever operating system you use, have such a tool on hand. In another era, a favorite tool of mine was the Dynamic Debugging Tool (DDT) that allowed file viewing at the hex level or ASCII level byte by byte—fun times! I know hex dumps are allowed in BBEdit, but the dumps are not nearly as convenient.

Happy you found the issue,

—Joseph

But aren't you secretly an Emacs man Solly?

Absolutely! What gave it away? Actually, when I was deciding on which personal computer to purchase in 1983, the choice was Osborne vs. Kaypro—the first  luggable computers. I decided to get the Kaypro II because I likened the Perfect Writer software better than WordStar for word processing. Perfect Writer was simply Emacs packaged for these newfangled CP/M systems. I used this this system for text construction into the mid 1990's. 

Fun times,

—Joseph

Deleted, sorry, off topic. ;o( 

Edited by ukfraser