Search for a certain noun or verb

WhiteWings

Suppose I want to search for all verses in which the English word 'anger' is verb (or noun).

How would I do that?

Edited by WhiteWings

Because our English Texts aren't grammatically tagged, You'll need to use the TEXT command in conjunction with a tagged Hebrew and Greek text. Here's an example of the search:

Screen%20Shot%202020-10-30%20at%209.01.4

• Like 3

If I may, another search question.

When I search for the word 'wine' in ESV, the Hebrew word it's translated from is

yayin - Gen 7:26

tirosh - Gen 7:29

A] Is it possible to search for verses with wine that are not translated from yayin or tirosh? 
I have no idea such verses even exist, but that's one the reasons I want such a search.

B] When I do a search on the English word wine, the resulting verses have the word wine in red.

That's very handy but if possible I would like to take that to the next level.

For example if the Hebrew text has yayin then mark red. If the Hebrew reads tirosh then mark blue.

C] My third question is a bit hard to explain. I want to check for consistency between Hebrew, LXX and NT. For example when comparing Hebrew to the LXX, is yayin always translated by the same Greek word? Is that same Greek LXX word also used in the NT for the same English word.

Wine is just a word I stumbled on when searching the ESV. It's a pity the translators are hiding some depth by translating 'new wine' as 'wine'.

I would be so great if I could display 'my own' translations in the Bible version I'm reading. 

Gen. 27:37 Isaac answered and said to Esau, “Behold, I have made him lord over you, and all his brothers I have given to him for servants, and with grain and wine I have sustained him. What then can I do for you, my son?”

would be displayed as:

Gen. 27:37 Isaac answered and said to Esau, “Behold, I have made him lord over you, and all his brothers I have given to him for servants, and with grain and new wine I have sustained him. What then can I do for you, my son?”

Edited by WhiteWings
  • Like 1

For A you could try : wine@ -([KEY H3196],[KEY H8492] )

For B: I don't believe you can assign a highlighting color for search results like that. You do something with highlighting perhaps, searching for one and assigning a highlight and then the other.

For C: Do you have the MT-LXX Parallel db ? That's how I would approach the LXX/MT. I can try to run up a search later, but I'm a little short of time right now for that.

thx

D

• Like 1

On C, for the vast majority of cases in the HMT יין is translated with οινος in the LXX but there are several cases where that is not the case:

Is. 28:7
ב/יין‎    οἴνῳ
52‏מן ה/יין {מן ה/שׁכר...}‎    ἀπὸ τῆς μέθης τοῦ σικερα

Hab. 2:5
ה/יין    {...ὁ}52 κατοινωμένος

Job 32:19
כ/יין    ὥσπερ ἀσκὸς

Prov. 31:4
שׁתו יין    οἰνοπότει {d}58 {...οἶνον δὲ}52 {...πινέτωσαν}52

The Proverbs case of course is complicated from Hebrew to Greek anyway - the Greek varies more from the Hebrew here.

Esth. 5:6
‏ב/משׁתה‎ {...?‏ה/יין‎}52 =%c     {..~ἐν τῷ πότῳ}53

Esth. 7:2
‏ב/משׁתה‎ {...?‏ה/יין‎}52 =%c36    ἐν τῷ πότῳ

Esth. 7:7
‏מ/משׁתה‎ {...?‏ה/יין‎}52 =%c36    ἐκ τοῦ συμποσίου

As far as οἶνος in the NT goes: ESVS appears to translate all occurrences to "wine"

σίκερα occurs only once but it's in a reference to scripture. I haven't tracked it down.

οἰνοπότει is a drunkard in the ESVS

And πὀτος only occurs once.

συμπόσιον occurs but not in this sense.

Thx

D

• Like 1