Critical Text of 1 Enoch?

R. Mansfield

I realize that any “complete” text of 1 Enoch is a puzzle-like complication of various texts, not all in the same language. However, I’m curious to know if anyone knows of any kind of critical text in print for 1 Enoch out there? 

• Like 1

I believe that volume is just the same translation as in the Hermeneia commentary. One problem with the Hermeneia commentary is that it only covers the text extant in Greek, leaving out huge chunks in the middle when compared with translations like the one by Isaacs in the Charlesworth volumes. It would be interested to seen an original language critical edition, even if it has to blend multiple languages together to make the whole.

Closet thing I know is here: https://pseudepigrapha.org/docs/text/1En

That alone is pretty amazing.

• Like 1

I realize that any “complete” text of 1 Enoch is a puzzle-like complication of various texts, not all in the same language. However, I’m curious to know if anyone knows of any kind of critical text in print for 1 Enoch out there? 

Internet Archive has critical texts I stumbled this summer over it as I searched the same:-). But search not for "Enoch". Search for the German word "Henoch". As the German scholars have done a lot.

https://archive.org/details/bub_gb_IYbaS-p5qCEC/page/n57/mode/2up Original language

https://archive.org/details/dasbuchhenochhrs00flemuoft/page/56/mode/2up Greek and German

https://archive.org/details/dasbuchhenoch00dillgoog/page/n359/mode/2up Translation and explanation in German

I'm sure there are more.

Fabian

Edited by Fabian
  • Like 4

I believe that volume is just the same translation as in the Hermeneia commentary. One problem with the Hermeneia commentary is that it only covers the text extant in Greek, leaving out huge chunks in the middle when compared with translations like the one by Isaacs in the Charlesworth volumes. It would be interested to seen an original language critical edition, even if it has to blend multiple languages together to make the whole.

That alone is pretty amazing.

in the 2 volumes i had believed the entire text was covered, I have not studied the text fully but know the dead sea scrolls are referenced.

-dan

1 Contemplate all (his) works, and observe the works of heaven,a how they do not alter their paths; and the luminaries <of> heaven,b that they all rise and set, each one ordered in its appointed time; and they appear on their feasts and do not transgress their own appointed order.c

2 Observe the earth, and contemplate the works that come to pass on ita from the beginning until the consummation,b that nothing on earth changes, but all the works of God are manifest to you.c

3 Observe <the signs of summer and winter. Contemplate the signs of> winter,a that all the earth is filled with water, and clouds and dew and rain rest upon it.

3:1 Contemplate and observe how all the trees appear withered and (how) all their leaves are stripped, except fourteen trees that are not stripped, which remain with the old until the new comes after two or three years.a

4:1 Observea the signs ofb summer, whereby the sun burns and scorches, and you seek shelter and shade from its presence, and the earth burns with scorching heat,c and you are unable to tread on the dustd or the rock because of the burning.

( Words supplied to clarify the translation. Also occasionally they indicate a parenthetical comment within the text itself.

) Words supplied to clarify the translation. Also occasionally they indicate a parenthetical comment within the text itself.

a and - - - - heaven] supported by A (4QEnc 1 1:18, ע֯ו֯[בד וחז]וא לכון לעובד שׁ[מיא בכול; reconstructed by Milik, Enoch, 184, in keeping with the usual use of double verbs in this section). GaE om. “and observe the works” by hmt. and read “in heaven” (ἐν τῷ οὐρανῷ / westa samāy) rather than “of heaven.” On the E variants of the word “contemplate” in these chapters see Knibb, Enoch, 2:60–61.

< Textual emendation, either changing extant words or adding others presumed to have been lost

> Textual emendation, either changing extant words or adding others presumed to have been lost

b how - - - - - heaven] GaE (except that they read “in heaven”; see n. a). Milik reconstructs A (4QEnc 1 1:18–19; Enoch, 184): ולמנירתא די לא משׁניין ארחתהון] במסורת[נה]ו֯ריהון [ [“… and the luminaries which do not change their courses] in the stations of their [li]ghts.” GaE are defective, perhaps due to the obscurity of מסורת, although the reconstruction is less than certain.

c and they appear - - - - - order] καὶ ταῖς ἑορταῖς αὐτῶν φαίνονται καὶ οὐ παραβαίνουσιν τῆν ἰδίαν τάξιν Ga | om. “and they appear” E. 4QEnc 1 1:19–20 (Milik, Enoch, 184) omits both clauses, by hmt., while 4QEna 1 2:1 (Milik, Enoch, 145) appears to have had both clauses.

a the works - - - - - it] GaE | “its deed(s)” (בעבדה) 4QEna 1 2:1, (Milik, Enoch, 145).

b + “they are corruptible” (εἰσιν φθαρτά) Ga, a gloss.

c that - - - - - you] ὡς οὐκ ἀλλοιοῦται οὐδὲν τῶν ἐπὶ γῆς ἀλλὰ πάντα ἔργα θεοῦ ὑμῖν φαίνεται Ga | “that no work of God changes as it becomes manifest” (kama ʾiyetmayyat kwellu megbāru laʾamlāk ʾenza yāstareʾi) E, which may indicate that Ga is expansive. Both 4QEna 1 2:2 and 4QEnc 1 1:21 (Milik, Enoch, 146, 184) omit “the works of God,” which may be a gloss.

< Textual emendation, either changing extant words or adding others presumed to have been lost

> Textual emendation, either changing extant words or adding others presumed to have been lost

a Observe - - - - - winter] The text of this section is wholly uncertain. For the rationale of the translation above, see comm. GaE read “Observe the summer and winter” (ἴδετε τὴν θερείαν καὶ τὴν χειμῶνα, reʾeyewwo laḥagāy walakeramt). A reads חזו לדגלי [ ] ע֯ל֯י֯ה֯ וׄב֯ד֯גל֯י שׁׄתוׄא . . . “Observe the signs of [ ] … upon it and the signs of winter” (4QEna 1 2:2–3; Milik, Enoch, 146). The remainder of the verse, translated from E, is missing in Ga but is supported by 4QEna 1 2:3–4 (Milik, Enoch, 146).

( Words supplied to clarify the translation. Also occasionally they indicate a parenthetical comment within the text itself.

) Words supplied to clarify the translation. Also occasionally they indicate a parenthetical comment within the text itself.

a Translation of the verse follows E. Ga om. from “how” to the beginning of 5:1 by hma. A cannot be reconstructed with any certainty (see Knibb, Enoch, 2:63), but it supports the general shape of E.

a 4QEna 1 2:6 (Milik, Enoch, 146) | “and again they have observed [‘observe’ u]” E.

b לדגלי 4QEna 1 2:6 (Milik, Enoch, 146) | “the days of” (mawāʿela) E. See comm. on chap. 3.

c The original of these lines can be reconstructed with some likelihood, although A and E differ considerably. E reads: kama kona ḍaḥay lāʿlēhā baqedmēhā waʾantemusa tahāššešu meṣlāla waṣelālota baʾenta wāʿya ḍaḥay, wamedrni teweʿʿi ʾemoqata ḥarur (“that the sun stood [or ‘was’] upon it, in its presence, and you seek shelter and shade because of the burning of the sun, and the earth burns with scorching heat”). Milik reconstructs the Aramaic from 4QEna 1 2:7–8 and 4QEnc 1 1:26–27 as follows (Enoch, 146, 185): [די שׁמשׁ] בהון כוייה ושׂלקה ואנתון ט֯ל֯ל֯ ו֯מ֯סׄתׄרין בעין מן קדמיה[ (“[whereby the sun] burns and glows; and you seek shade and shelter before it [on the burning earth …”). A and E agree on the main part of the second clause (“and you seek shade and shelter”). In 4QEna “before it” is certain and may be represented by baqedmēhā, which appears to be superfluous in the first clause of E (but see below). Similarly, baʾenta wāʿya ḍaḥay looks like a glossed form of the similar expression at the end of the verse (baʾenta wāʿyā, “because of its burning”). In the first clause, the two verbs of A are certain. E is strange, although lāʿlēhā could represent בהון of A. Although “sun” is uncertain in A, it is required for the sense of the passage and is supported by E. Perhaps E contains a scribal comment or comments: “ ‘sun’ stood over it/before it” (i.e., over or before some word or the passage). Milik’s reconstruction of the last clause is wholly uncertain and unsupported by E, which could have stood in the lacuna.

d עפרה 4QEna 1 2:8 | “earth” (medr) E.

George W. E. Nickelsburg, 1 Enoch: A Commentary on the Book of 1 Enoch, ed. Klaus Baltzer, Hermeneia—a Critical and Historical Commentary on the Bible (Minneapolis, MN: Fortress, 2001), 150.

I've never worked with 1 Enoch, but found some information in Clavis Clavium, which includes the Clavis Apocryphorum Veteris Testamenti and the Clavis Apocryphorum Novi Testamenti. If you want to see the full entry, click the link above, then the Open Access button, then select Works and search for Henoch. You'll get several results. Click on "Henoch aethiopicus (Henoch I)." That will give you general information. At the bottom, click "Versio aethiopica." That's where I found information about editions. These two sound promising:

• R.H. CharlesThe Ethiopic version of the Book of Enoch edited from twenty-three mss. together with the fragmentary Greek and Latin versions (Anecdota Oxoniensia. Semitic Series, ii), Oxford, 1906.
  • M.A. Knibb in consultation with E. UllendorfThe Ethiopic Book of Enoch. A New Edition in the Light of the Aramaic Dead Sea Fragments, 2 vol., Oxford, 1978.

The first is in the Internet Archive: https://archive.org/details/ethiopicversiono00charuoft/page/n3/mode/2up

Note that the Clavis Apocryphorum Veteris Testamenti was published in 1998, so it won't list editions published after that. One of the goals of Clavis Clavium is to have an up-to-date online database of critical editions and related secondary literature.

• Like 1