Plug for Waltke's Micah Commentary

Abram K-J

Bruce Waltke's Commentary on Micah is on sale for $12.90 for a little while longer. Even at its list price of $27.90, it's a bargain.

It's been a while since I used it in depth, but whenever I have plunged its depth, I've been astounded at Waltke's attention to detail, analysis of the text, and careful treatment of the grammar (and so much more). He has other Micah volumes available, even: Tyndale and McComiskey. But this stand-alone volume is the one it seems he really wanted to write, the volume that was far too long for inclusion in any series. He says in the preface that he treated each pericope as if it were a doctoral dissertation. 

When I wrote a lengthy exegesis paper on a Micah passage in seminary, this commentary was close at hand. I used the library copy extensively, then bought myself a hard copy afterwards to celebrate. (I do love the smell of Eerdmans books.) When it became available in Accordance, I quickly made it one of a handful of double purchases, where I get a book in print and Accordance, so that I could access it electronically, as well.

No kickback for me on this post... just one of the best commentaries I've ever used for in-depth, original language work (especially text criticism), so wanting to give it its due.

(EDIT: fixed typo)

Edited by Abram K-J
  • Like 11

Abram, thanks for the heads up... would you be kind enough to post a screenshot of Micah 6:8.  Please.

• Like 1

I've sent a copy of Micah 6:8 in Waltke as a PDF to Paul. If anyone else wants a copy, just let me know.

• Like 2

I've sent a copy of Micah 6:8 in Waltke as a PDF to Paul. 

Much appreciated Mark, but I don't think you attached it to your DM

Thanks, Mark! It would’ve taken quite a few screenshots!

Sorry Abram, I should have guessed it would be extensive... 

• Like 1

Also excellent. I’ve made great use of the lament one. It epecially focuses on the history of interpretation of various Psalms in the church.

• Like 1

Thanks Abram K J, I got both based on your recommendation.

Thanks for doing this. I think it's invaluable that you took the time to share something that you feel really good. So even if it is not a full blow review, a recommendation is much appreciated!

• Like 1

thank you for this post. very, very helpful. wasn't even thinking of purchasing it but your high recommendation made me look into it more and decide to buy it as well!

posts like this are very helpful!

• Like 2

I agree, this was helpful. I haven’t used these particular commentaries, but I’ve heard Dr. Waltke preach several times (usually on the OT) and the way he works through a text is really wonderful. Anything he writes is helpful. His NICOT volumes on Proverbs are great, and you can find his other contributions in everything from the Westminster Theological Journal to the Anchor Bible Dictionary.  I’m looking forward to using these new volumes also. 

• Like 3

Agreed, bought both.  Looking forward to my next preaching series on the Psalms.

• Like 2

I have it in Logos. Waltke on Micah, Genesis and his OT Theology are great resources to have