Different passages in a "pane"

bobbycarswell

For several years, I have had a need, both in my personal study and in our community Bible Study, to show different passages, side-by-side, at the same time. I know I can do this by opening up two or more windows of Accordance, but it would be so much easier to be able to view the differing passages together in one "pane." I actually thought there had to be a way to accomplish this, and finally broke down and called Accordance but was told it could not yet be done. They suggested I post it on the forum to see if someone in Accordance might take notice.

For several years, I have had a need, both in my personal study and in our community Bible Study, to show different passages, side-by-side, at the same time. I know I can do this by opening up two or more windows of Accordance, but it would be so much easier to be able to view the differing passages together in one "pane." I actually thought there had to be a way to accomplish this, and finally broke down and called Accordance but was told it could not yet be done. They suggested I post it on the forum to see if someone in Accordance might take notice.

If you are open to displaying the passages vertically, there is a very simple solution: create your own "Reference List." To do so, select File>New>Reference List; add whatever verse you want, then save the list with a unique name. Or just select the passages you want and use the menu Selection>Add Selection To>New Reference List.

Another, kind of "sneaky" way to get around this limitation is to copy and paste the parallel verse into a user note for the first verse. Open the user note as an additional vertical pane. Presto! You have parallel passages! [Note: you can create a special set of user notes for just this purpose.]

Thanks for the suggestions, but as was acknowledged, these are work-arounds. For me, it would still be very useful to be able to, a the same time, view two independent panes within a tab (or to be able to view two independent tabs at the same time). Maybe I've become spoiled by Accordance's amazing abilities in practically all other areas!

Bobby, I'm afraid at this point I'm confused by what it is you are really asking for and why it is important. As I understand it, you want to compare two distinct passages side by side.

Currently, you can do a verse search for both passages in a single window or tab, open two panes containing the same Bible, then control scroll one of those panes so that both passages appear side by side.

Or you could open two separate windows to each separate passage, and use the Tile command to view them both side by side.

It seems to me that either option enables you to compare two separate passages with a minimum of setup. To do what you seem to be wanting, we would need to have two separate search entry boxes at the top of the window and some visual cue to indicate that the panes are not parallel. And of course, the interface would get even more complicated if you wanted to compare three or four or five distinct passages. I'm afraid I just don't see how that would be preferable to what is already possible by breaking the parallel scrolling using the control key or by opening separate windows.

Ah, I hesitate to even mention this, but have you checked your parallels to see if your passages appear in one of them? The most common parallels are all there: Gospels, Epistles, 1Sam-2Kings vs. 1Chr-2Chr, OT in NT, etc. It's easy to forget some of these tools are available in Accordance.

Sorry for the delayed response - have been out of town.

Thanks David, I think you have answered my question!! I was unaware of the "control/scroll" feature that does allow me to have two panes open, while viewing two different passages. The short time that I tested it, seemed to indicate that as long as I press "control" while scrolling, then the two passages won't automatically go to the same passage, while without pressing "control" they do what I've always experienced.

Just for your info, my study usually involves a Word document on the left side of my screen, with my customized Accordance workspace w/tabs on the right. Opening two separate Accordance windows meant I lost sight of Word, so it's important to me to be able to work with just one window.

Thanks for your help,

bc

Bobby, I'm afraid at this point I'm confused by what it is you are really asking for and why it is important. As I understand it, you want to compare two distinct passages side by side.

Currently, you can do a verse search for both passages in a single window or tab, open two panes containing the same Bible, then control scroll one of those panes so that both passages appear side by side.

Or you could open two separate windows to each separate passage, and use the Tile command to view them both side by side.

It seems to me that either option enables you to compare two separate passages with a minimum of setup. To do what you seem to be wanting, we would need to have two separate search entry boxes at the top of the window and some visual cue to indicate that the panes are not parallel. And of course, the interface would get even more complicated if you wanted to compare three or four or five distinct passages. I'm afraid I just don't see how that would be preferable to what is already possible by breaking the parallel scrolling using the control key or by opening separate windows.

Ah, I hesitate to even mention this, but have you checked your parallels to see if your passages appear in one of them? The most common parallels are all there: Gospels, Epistles, 1Sam-2Kings vs. 1Chr-2Chr, OT in NT, etc. It's easy to forget some of these tools are available in Accordance.

unfortunately it seems that these lists aren't able to be edited - say i wanted to view the promises to Abraham side by side (Gen 12, 15, 17, 22) for example - the only way i seem to be able to do this is to have them tile themselves 2x2 - with more header and side bar than text visible (it could be my small screen size not allowing much any more width - but i can happily have 4 side by side in a normal frame). being able to create our own parallel text set would be great.

(on a slight aside, i can't make the reference list do anything much - i can give it a description but can't make it show me any text. if i could make this work, would that solve my problem? could i have these four texts side by side?)

If you enter all 4 references in one search window, and make 4 panes of the same text, you can separately scroll each pane so that the passages you want to see are in parallel. You do this by clicking a pane and pressing control as you scroll from the scroll bar. As long as you keep control pressed when you scroll, each pane remains independent. Here is a screenshot to prove it.

AbrahamPromises.jpg

You add verses to the Reference list from the Selection menu after bookmarking or selecting them in the main text. The parallel panes will work in the same way as the Search window.

If you enter all 4 references in one search window, and make 4 panes of the same text, you can separately scroll each pane so that the passages you want to see are in parallel. You do this by clicking a pane and pressing control as you scroll from the scroll bar. As long as you keep control pressed when you scroll, each pane remains independent. Here is a screenshot to prove it.

thanks Helen - your lateral thinking is a great gift!

Archived