LXX & MT Searches for Grammatical Features

screfield

How would I run a search comparing a grammatical feature across both the MT and LXX? So, for a very simple example, say I wanted to run a search of all Singular Verbs in the MT of Gen 1-11 but then wanted to discover if any of them were translated as Plural Verbs in LXX, could such a search be run? I'm looking at purchasing the "MT/LXX Parallel" module, but I want to check first that it could manage such a request. Thanks.

• Like 1

Below is a screenshot of the search and an analysis of the underlying LXX Greek text showing number, but this way you would need to scroll down the analysis window to see if any the Greek text is plural. There is a way to avoid this step, but I cannot recall how to set it up. Hopefully someone more expereinced in the MX/LXX will come along and provide more detail. Until then, you can see that Accordance is fully capable of the searching your example.

post-1391-0-43293100-1591187956_thumb.png

Hi screfield,

See below. You want the MERGE command for this. I have aligned the below on Gen 1:20 for one example hit, but several examples are visible. I searched the whole of Genesis but you can use whatever range you want.

post-32023-0-04487400-1591195117_thumb.jpg

Ooops! I just realized I did your search backwards. Hang on I'll post the reverse case too.

Thx

D

• Like 1

Here you go : singular in Hebrew, plural in Greek.

post-32023-0-81782600-1591195426_thumb.jpg

Thx

D

• Like 1

Here's another approach using the TEXT command: search a tagged Hebrew Bible for [VERB singular]@[LXX1 [verb plural] ] [RANGE Gen 1-11]

post-35131-0-58465700-1591214715_thumb.jpg

Daniel's approach has the advantage of highlighting the words in the MT-LXX parallel. With my search, you have to use cross-highlighting to see which Greek word is used in the MT-LXX parallel.

• Like 4