Search Help

josephhabib1

I want to search all perfect 1cs/2ms hebrew verbs with the structure of וְאָכַלְתָּ. Specifically, a waw consecutive form with a pathach underneath the second root letter (i.e., excluding forms like וְהָיִיתִי in which hireq is under the second root letter). 

My first instinct was to perform the construct search in the attached picture, but to no avail! Help please!

post-33985-0-73147200-1589489134_thumb.png

Edited by josephhabib1
  • Like 1

You need a second ? after the first to account for the vowel on the first character. That will help, but it still gives false positive results such as where the aleph is added to the front of the verb as in וַאֲגַדְּלָה.

Patach on second.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ah I didn't realise ? also accounts for vowels. Thanks so much Helen!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi there. I am trying to perform two types of searches and need help.

1. I want to get the complete list of all the words in Peshitta NT in the sequence of their occurrences (most to least). is it possible to do it through the search engine?
  2. Is it possible to give a root word and find all the words (verb, noun, adjective, adverb, etc.) that are formed from that root? E.g., all the words that have the root "to say": saying, speech, speaker, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by gegham73

Yes, both searches are possible and easy.

1. Just do a "Word" search for the asterisk - *.  Once your search is done, click the pie chart symbol on the right of the entry box and select Analysis.  From this tab, you can sort the results by choosing 'Count Down'.

2. A root search has the root prefixed by a plus sign - +.

You can also run the tutorial "Searching by Hebrew Root" to show you how root searching works, and it also demonstrates how to open the Analysis tab.

Try this link, then click the "View in Accordance" orange button:

https://accordance.bible/link/tutor/Searching_by_Hebrew_Root

Thanks Joel!

• 1 month later...

Helen and Joel, thank you both for the info, that was a great help for my research project.

Now, how to display all the verbs that occur 1-50 times? Or, if asterisk * is the sign for ALL words, what are the signs for verbs, nouns, adjectives, pronouns, prepositions, etc., so I can search a specific type of word with a specific range of occurrence?

Thanks,

Gegham

[COUNT 1-50] will add the qualification that the word occurs 1-50 times in the entire text

[VERB] 

[NOUN]

[ADJECTIVE

etc etc

so 

[COUNT 1-50] [VERB] 

will give you all verbs that occurs 1-50 times. 

Ken,

Thanks for the information, it was a time saving "trick." However, I noticed a discrepancy that I don't know the reason. When I search [COUNT 1-50] @* and look at the list of the words under Graphs and Statistics/Analysis, every word has the number of its occurrence, e.g., ܗܘܐ_0 to be = 4006. But when I search with [COUNT 1-50] [VERB], the same ܗܘܐ has a different number of occurrence: ܗܘܐ_0 to be = 596. 596 is incorrect but I don't know what's the problem and how to fix it.