Counting words in the text

miketisdell

How can I count the words in the text so that the results reflect the words denoted by spaces instead of by lexemes?

For example: 

If I search for * in Gen. 1:1, I get 11 words:

ב ראשית ברא אלהים את ה שמים ו את ה ארץ

but I would like to be able to get results that reflect the space divisions of words in the text (in this case 7 words)

בראשית ברא אלהים את השמים ואת הארץ

I have tried a "letters" search but when I use a wildcard the search changes back to "words"

I have tried searching a user imported untagged Hebrew text, but Accordance crashes when I search it.

• Like 1

If you have access to the BHQ, you can do what you want in those Texts.
I don't think there's a way to do what you're trying to in the HMT-W4 or the BHS (others will correct me if I'm wrong!)

If you have access to the BHQ, you can do what you want in those Texts.

I don't think there's a way to do what you're trying to in the HMT-W4 or the BHS (others will correct me if I'm wrong!)

BHQ works but it is incomplete

• Like 1

An untagged bible or user bible will work that way too I expect. The Delitzsch NT for example does.

Thx

D

• Like 1

BHQ works but it is incomplete

Correction: BHQ almost works, but it includes the qere in the count. 

When I attempted to get counts for the NT (NA28) I noticed that the book titles were also being counted.

An untagged bible or user bible will work that way too I expect. The Delitzsch NT for example does.

Thx

D

An untagged bible should work, but I have found several significant problems:

1) The User bibles that I have crash Accordance when I run the search.

2) BHQ is incomplete

3) the Qere is included in the totals

As to #3, you can ignore the Qere by clicking on the circled-plus-sign to the right of the Search Entry Box, then selecting "Bracketed words" from the dropdown on the left, and "Are Ignored" from the dropdown on the right.

• Like 1

As to #3, you can ignore the Qere by clicking on the circled-plus-sign to the right of the Search Entry Box, then selecting "Bracketed words" from the dropdown on the left, and "Are Ignored" from the dropdown on the right.

That works with BHS; however, I just realized that the Qere is not indicated in BHQ. 

The BHQ miscounts are being caused because Accordance is counting end of block markers as words. For example it counts the 'ס' at the end of Deut. 2:1

‏וַנֵּפֶן וַנִּסַּע הַמִּדְבָּרָה דֶּרֶךְ יַם־סוּף כַּאֲשֶׁר דִּבֶּר יְהוָה אֵלָי וַנָּ֯סָב אֶת־הַר־שֵׂעִיר יָמִים רַבִּים׃ ס

Word counts in Accordance (especially in the OT are very problematic).