How to do "OR" construct searches?

Donald Cobb

Hello all,

I'm searching for something very specific: the use of the expressions ἐν Χριστῷ, ἐν αὐτῷ and ἐν ᾧ in the pauline corpus. I can't figure out how to it with a construct that looks something like this:

ἐν [followed by] [within 2 words] (χριστος @ [dative], αὐτός @ [masc, dative sing], ὅς @ [rel. pronoun, masc., sing., dat])

This is just an approximation of what I've been trying to do, both in the search line and as a construct search. Alternative searches in the search line can't take grammatical tags and I can't figure out how to do or searches in the construct box. What do I need to do?

Thanks for any help!

How about this?

ἐν <FOLLOWED BY> <within 1 words> (χριστος @ [NOUN dative] <OR> αὐτός @ [PRONOUN masculine singular dative] <OR> ὅς @ [PRONOUN relative masculine singular dative]) 

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Like 1

Here's a construct variant

post-32023-0-08256400-1586960284_thumb.jpg

Now, notice that this is not quite what I wanted to start with. I wanted to clearly express the noun dat with χριστω and then pronoun relative with ο and so on. However I couldn't do that in a single construct. For your query this is good enough I think because the POS and the lexemes are adequately distinct.

But for something more complex you can do separate constructs and OR them together like this :

post-32023-0-00743400-1586960637_thumb.jpg

Thx

D

• Like 1

How about this?

ἐν <FOLLOWED BY> <within 1 words> (χριστος @ [NOUN dative] <OR> αὐτός @ [PRONOUN masculine singular dative] <OR> ὅς @ [PRONOUN relative masculine singular dative]

Mark, your construct is pretty much what I had done, except that you put "[OR]" in the place of "," I hadn't done that because Joel mentioned in a post a while ago that in parentheses, commas did a better job than the [OR] command. That being said, I tried copying your construct into the search bar and got this:

post-34440-0-08433600-1586965347_thumb.jpg

Did it work when you did it? If so, what could I be doing wrong?

Daniel, your construct works perfectly. There are a couple false positives (i.e., Rm. 7:6; Eph 6:16) but that's only in terms of content, not in the grammar. Many thanks! 

Edited by Donald Cobb

When I copied-and-pasted the search string from the forum post, it didn't work. Turns out there are some non-breaking spaces that were inserted when I pasted it. It DID work when I initially ran it. So I typed it in again manually, and it worked.

• Like 1

When I copied-and-pasted the search string from the forum post, it didn't work. Turns out there are some non-breaking spaces that were inserted when I pasted it. It DID work when I initially ran it. So I typed it in again manually, and it worked.

Ok, I see that. Thanks Mark!

• Like 1