Searching research tab with both English and verse coded content

HelgeH

I am looking for a way to do a research tab search throughout all library items containing both English and verse coded content.

The closes thing so far is the following search: "heaven <WITHIN 20 Words> [RANGE Heb. 12]", but this only shows the results in texts, and not other resources like commentaries or dictionaries. My idea was to search English for something like “heaven <WITHIN 20 Words> [VERSES Heb. 12]” where all library items would both search for the English content “heaven” at the same time as searching within 20 words of content coded with verse references within Hebrews 12. But the VERSES tag does not exist as a search command.

It seems that I either have to choose to search for English content or reference coded Verses from the Research tab. What I am trying to do is to do a search with both of these at the same time. Is there a way to do these two searches simultaneously in one command?

This is tricky with Research as it stands right now. What you really want is to be able to search on two fields, English and Scripture. This is not support though there are multiple requests for it.

You can try something like this:

heaven <FOLLOWED BY> <WITHIN 200 Words> heb <FOLLOWED BY> <WITHIN 2 Words> 12

This is not a normally recommended structure for a search as the query engine does not handle multiple WITHIN/FOLLOWED BY clauses in a query like this very well. But there is little other choice that I'm aware of. The other thing that would help if is the you could specify "Heb*" but that doesn't work either.

Now, the above search doesn't return hits for me - that's why I expanded the first WITHIN to 200 words. However if I change "heaven" to "text" and then go back to 20 I get a couple of hits.

So perhaps something like: heaven <FOLLOWED BY> <WITHIN 20 Words> heb <FOLLOWED BY> <WITHIN 2 Words> 12

will get you some hits. If you know of any example hits in your library that will give you greater confidence it's working as expected.

Thx

D

Thank you for your reply, דָנִיאֶל! I tried with similar searches as you mentioned, but on my part, this only find references that are not tagged with reference tags. It seems like the English search ignores content tagged with references.

Hi, is there a reason you want to search everytning? If you have a few (even a dozen) primary things to search, set up a set of linked searches. If you want to see how that is done I'll set something up and screen shot it for you.

And that save that as a workspace so you can use it over and over

Thank you for your reply, דָנִיאֶל! I tried with similar searches as you mentioned, but on my part, this only find references that are not tagged with reference tags. It seems like the English search ignores content tagged with references.

This is why I asked if you knew of any explicit results you were expecting from the search. It is possible that there are no such hits in your library. But yes it is possible that the scripture tags are not included in the All English search field of tools. I don't know but some from Oaktree might be able to comment.

Thx

D

The main reason would be for speed and convenience. I was planning to do a live bible study session together with some people through zoom. We would then study together a passage from scratch without any of us doing some deep studies beforehand to discover together. I find that the plethora of options in resources quickly becomes overwhelming in such a situation without quick and effective searching. Unless you choose one resource at a time, but then you could miss the potential of other resources talking about the exact theme you are interested in.

With this functionality we can quickly extract thematic subjects on the paragraph from dictionaries and commentaries live as we study together. For example the theme of heaven in Hebrews 12. Then we could quickly exclude NICNT and WBC if Pillar talks about this. And the same for dictionaries if the ISBE Revised and Anchor Yale does not have the content, but the IVP series does. This method would also include other resources such the Ancient Christian Commentary series, Ancient Christian Doctrine series or even monographs like the NSBT series that are quickly dismissed in such a study environment. When the library becomes 100-200k+ pages these gems are easily missed with limited time. Then each search would limit the resources so that they are easily selectable from the resource list presented by the search.

Linked searches would be one alternative though. I would love to see some examples if you have them readily available. Then we could select some primary resources beforehand that would be relevant for the study session.

Edited by HelgeH

This is why I asked if you knew of any explicit results you were expecting from the search. It is possible that there are no such hits in your library. But yes it is possible that the scripture tags are not included in the All English search field of tools. I don't know but some from Oaktree might be able to comment.

Thx

D

I did not have any specific results in mind, but if we take your example and widen the word count to 200 words, we should have a hit on the Tyndale Commentary on Hebrews 12:25, NICNT in Heb. 12:26, BST in Heb. 12:26-27 and a hit in the ISBE revised on Heb. 12:6 towards the end of the “heaven/heavens” article. If we limit the search to lets say Hebrews 12:25 range, then the search would show NICNT, but possibly exclude BST. Unless the BST hit in Heb. 12:26 is within the word range, though.

Hi Helge!

I stand defeated I think, unless one of the cleverer guys on the forums knows how to do this. But the LINK command, I thought, would take all the arguments from the first search and repeat them in the second search pane/tab. However, it seems that it will only do it on parameters that are alike. It's a little more technical at that point, but suffice it to say, while I could get the link to show all the Heb 12 references, it did not then also perform the English content "heaven" search. I will post the screenshot, but it won't be of much use to you because it didn't work. Sorry.

post-29509-0-72131500-1584995626_thumb.jpg