File lists won't open

crossnote

I am running Accordance 13 on Win 10. The file lists  at the top (File/Edit/Search/Display etc.) will highlight but won't open or drop down with my mouse. To close Accordance I have to go through Task Manager.  

I am running Accordance 13 on Win 10. The file lists  at the top (File/Edit/Search/Display etc.) will highlight but won't open or drop down with my mouse. To close Accordance I have to go through Task Manager.  

OK, so I have an Accordance 13 app that is essentially useless?

This is very odd. I have not seen this sort of failure on Windows that I recall. I run Acc 13.0.4 on Win 10 every day. I've certainly seen it hang and have to be crashed but it's not the way I have to do it all the time. And the menu thing is really odd. A couple of questions to get the ball rolling on diagnosis.

1. Are other apps working ok, in respect of their menus and shutting them down, in particular ?

2. What exact Win 10 version are you on (even to the build number if it's not a production release) ? Is it by any chance a beta release, Windows insider or something ?

3. Has Acc 13 ever worked for you on this Win 10 installation ? If so do you recall anything changing about the time it stopped working normally ?

4. Are you loading a saved workspace on startup or are you creating a new one ? It would be worth creating a new one from scratch just to be sure it's not something in the workspace.

Thx

D

• Like 1

It sounds like you need to call tech support at 1-(407) 339-0266

• Like 1

Agreed - that would probably be faster.

Thx

D

This is very odd. I have not seen this sort of failure on Windows that I recall. I run Acc 13.0.4 on Win 10 every day. I've certainly seen it hang and have to be crashed but it's not the way I have to do it all the time. And the menu thing is really odd. A couple of questions to get the ball rolling on diagnosis.

1. Are other apps working ok, in respect of their menus and shutting them down, in particular ?

2. What exact Win 10 version are you on (even to the build number if it's not a production release) ? Is it by any chance a beta release, Windows insider or something ?

3. Has Acc 13 ever worked for you on this Win 10 installation ? If so do you recall anything changing about the time it stopped working normally ?

4. Are you loading a saved workspace on startup or are you creating a new one ? It would be worth creating a new one from scratch just to be sure it's not something in the workspace.

Thx

D

1. Yes other apps work fine.

2. 18362.719 not Beta.

3 No, I have been using other Bible Apps for the last few months.

4. I have tried both ways,

Edited by crossnote

I stutter badly and do terrible on phones, so I prefer writing, thx.

Ok I'm running .720 so we are within a point of each other.

Something in your env is perhaps interfering with this ?

One test I would try is restart and try just with Accordance. I might even consider turning off virus checker. This is just a test to see if we can remove any possible interference.

The other thing I would try is a complete reinstall in case something failed in the install and it's somehow messed up.

Thx

D

Ok I'm running .720 so we are within a point of each other.

Something in your env is perhaps interfering with this ?

One test I would try is restart and try just with Accordance. I might even consider turning off virus checker. This is just a test to see if we can remove any possible interference.

The other thing I would try is a complete reinstall in case something failed in the install and it's somehow messed up.

Thx

D

Env?

I tried turning off Avast and Malwarebytes...same.

I tried reinstalling Accordance...same.

Env is environment - the machine, OS, whatever other software is running.

Hmmm.... ok So does ALT-F, ALT-S etc work ? And then once activated can you get the menus to work from the keyboard ?

Also, when you say "but won't open or drop down with my mouse" do you mean when you click on the menu ? I assume so but I'm just checking ?

What is the hardware ? I am grasping at straws a bit here but the answer is always the question you didn't ask.

Thx

D

Env is environment - the machine, OS, whatever other software is running.

Hmmm.... ok So does ALT-F, ALT-S etc work ? And then once activated can you get the menus to work from the keyboard ?

Also, when you say "but won't open or drop down with my mouse" do you mean when you click on the menu ? I assume so but I'm just checking ?

What is the hardware ? I am grasping at straws a bit here but the answer is always the question you didn't ask.

Thx

D

No, the ALT combos do not work.

Yes, it's as if it is frozen. I even have to open the Task Manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL) to close Accordance.

A Lenovo-Yoga 720 laptop.

Under 'Problem Devices' in System information, I get this msg...'Synaptics WBDI - SGX USB\VID_06CB&PID_0081\DF0FA480E5E0 This device is disabled.

Edited by crossnote

I know people have had Yogas working before now.

I am however pretty much out of ideas here. It sounds like Acc is booting up and freezing. I was wondering if it was the input device somehow, but honestly now I'm thinking that could all be a furfey and the real problem isn't the input devices as much as it is that Acc is hanging on your system. I think you should ping support@accordancebible.com. I think it is hanging then they'll need to figure out with you where. They may be able to suggest something to try or screenshare with you and take a direct look at the problem.

If anything else occurs to me I'll ping back and let you know.

Sorry I couldn't help more

Thx

D

• Like 2

I know people have had Yogas working before now.

I am however pretty much out of ideas here. It sounds like Acc is booting up and freezing. I was wondering if it was the input device somehow, but honestly now I'm thinking that could all be a furfey and the real problem isn't the input devices as much as it is that Acc is hanging on your system. I think you should ping support@accordancebible.com. I think it is hanging then they'll need to figure out with you where. They may be able to suggest something to try or screenshare with you and take a direct look at the problem.

If anything else occurs to me I'll ping back and let you know.

Sorry I couldn't help more

Thx

D

FIXED!!

Ok, so I contacted the support link you gave and they said...

It sounds like you have a damaged installation. 

Did you by any chance use Google Chrome to download Accordance? Chrome is mistaking Accordance for malware on some computers and will cripple the download to various degrees and it will never work correctly. If you used Chrome, please throw that download away and get a new download and run it again using any other browser. Please restart your PC before running the new download to quit any background processes that may still be running (Task Manager alone can do this sometimes, but restarting the PC does it every time).

If you did not use Chrome, Accordance Safe Mode will allow you to easily remove or disable User Content, Settings, Connectivity and do Clean up for troubleshooting purposes.

In order to open Accordance Safe Mode on a Windows computer, press and hold your ‘alt’ key ‘immediately after’ you click on the icon to open Accordance.

Please select ‘Remove startup session’ and then launch Accordance. If this doesn’t correct the issue, you can go back into Accordance Safe Mode and select ‘Remove General Settings’ and then relaunch Accordance. This will reset some of your personal preferences and you will need to put in your name and account information again, but this is normal. 

If this still doesn’t correct the issue, then as a last resort you can ‘rename' the Accordance Preferences folder located at: 

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Accordance\Accordance Preferences

Then restart Accordance and it will rebuild your entire preferences folder.

If this doesn’t correct the issue, we can arrange a time for one of us to screen share with you.

I tried a different browser (FireFox)...nothing.

Then i did the 'Safe Mode' thing and voila! Thanks all.

• Like 4

• 10 months later...

FIXED!!

Ok, so I contacted the support link you gave and they said...

I tried a different browser (FireFox)...nothing.

Then i did the 'Safe Mode' thing and voila! Thanks all.

This worked for me too; I had the same behavior (just showed up randomly today, after working fine for months). Other issues also occurred, e.g., couldn't change books of bible in some panes, and some windows were all wonky. 

‘Remove startup session’ and then launch Accordance is the part that worked for me (didn't need to try uninstalling or reinstalling at all)

Edited by RyanQuey
  • Like 1