Hebrew Root words, what is it?

Jesse Dornfeld

I was wondering if a root Hebrew word is simply the characters without the vowels added or not. I am asking for research purposes.

I was wondering if it would be good to search both רוח <AND> נפשׁ with no vowls added. I find I get a lot more results searching these things without the vowls in my BDB Abridged. How might my search change if I get a different Lexicon and/or the BDB complete?

Noteworthy is that I find there are lexicons on sale now, but I am thinking I might save up to get the Greek/Hebrew Discoverer. What would be prudent?

Also, can't do a search for the word 'ov [H0178] which appears once in 1 Sam. but I don't know where.

Edited by Jesse D

..if a root Hebrew word is simply the characters without the vowels added or not

The word "root" refers to the basic 3-letter combinations in Semitic languages like Hebrew and Aramaic from which most verbs and nouns are built.  It has nothing at all to do with the vowels, which themselves were only added to the basic consonantal text in the Middle Ages.

An example in Hebrew is the 3-letter combination of ילד, from which multiple verbs and nouns are built, such as 1) v. to bear children; 2) n. children; 3) m.n. boy; 4) f.n. girl; 5) f.n. midwife, and so on.  You can see the actual Hebrew forms if you look up 3205 יָלַד 497 in the BDB Abridged.

In English, the words "bear (children)," "children," "boy," "girl," "midwife" are all totally different words, but in Hebrew, all these would have the root יָלַד within them.  I recommend a basic Hebrew grammar (Ross, Pratico Van-Pelt, etc.) to learn these basics.

Noteworthy is that I find there are lexicons on sale now, but I am thinking I might save up to get the Greek/Hebrew Discoverer. What would be prudent?

All I'll say to this is that Accordance as a company does very well at not double-charging users for modules that they already own.  In other words, if you were to buy certain resources now, and then later down the road purchase a Collection that has those resources within it, Accordance would most likely not charge you again for something you already own.  Personally, I think Collections can be the most cost-effective approach to building your library, especially when they are on sale.  You almost always will get a better deal overall when you buy a collection, versus just one module at a time.  (The exception might be when there is a storewide sale, which seems to happen a few times a year).

Also, can't do a search for the word 'ov [H0178] which appears once in 1 Sam. but I don't know where.

Look in 1 Samuel 28:7-8.

Edited by TYA
  • Like 1

Thank you so much for you very helpful response!

I cannot remember who showed me this, but I started looking at this again and might want to devote more time to it. It seems like a great recource for learning Hebrew.

http://www.animatedhebrew.com/lectures/index.html

Too bad. I copied the the TOC in a User Tool but the links are missed. A bug?

In Word they works. I have also converted it from table to tabs, but it still don't copied the links. 

Edited by Fabian

Just to provide a little  more color: You can do a lexical form search on ילד and a root search on ילד; in a Lexicon there are multiple entries for words derived from the root ילד and a lexeme search will only return results for the specific lexeme, but a root search should return results for all of the lexical forms that are derived from this root i.e. both verb and noun forms. 

For example, consider Isa. 9:5 in the Hebrew Bible

‏ כִּי־יֶלֶד יֻלַּד־לָנוּ- [root search]

כִּי־יֶלֶד יֻלַּד־לָנוּ - [lexeme search]

כִּי־יֶלֶד יֻלַּד־לָנוּ - lexeme search]

If I were to right click either of the two instances of ילד search for lexeme then only the selected word would be highlighted when the search results were returned; however, if you selected either of these words and did a root search then both would show highlighted when the search results were returned. In this example, the first instance is a noun (boy/child) and the second instance is a verb (was born).

Edited by miketisdell
  • Like 1

Just to provide a little  more color: You can do a lexical form search on ילד and a root search on ילד; in a Lexicon there are multiple entries for words derived from the root ילד and a lexeme search will only return results for the specific lexeme, but a root search should return results for all of the lexical forms that are derived from this root i.e. both verb and noun forms. 

For example, consider Isa. 9:5 in the Hebrew Bible

‏ כִּי־יֶלֶד יֻלַּד־לָנוּ- [root search]

כִּי־יֶלֶד יֻלַּד־לָנוּ - [lexeme search]

כִּי־יֶלֶד יֻלַּד־לָנוּ - lexeme search]

If I were to right click either of the two instances of ילד search for lexeme then only the selected word would be highlighted when the search results were returned; however, if you selected either of these words and did a root search then both would show highlighted when the search results were returned. In this example, the first instance is a noun (boy/child) and the second instance is a verb (was born).

Yes, thank you. I found out how to do something similar by taking away the vowls for words and this is just another step up from that. Appreciated!