Problem with an Israeli keyboard and [TEXT]

miketisdell

When you use the popup dialog box to enter a [TEXT] command, the first letter of the text uses the wrong keyboard mapping. I discovered this because I was trying to type a ג but got a ד; because these keys happen to be right next to each other the first few times it happened I thought my finger had hit the wrong key. Once I realized the problem I checked several keys and they all type the wrong key on the first press, the next press works correctly. 

post-35053-0-89523700-1580830264_thumb.jpg

Note: I am using windows but I do not know if this problem is unique to windows

I just tried it but I can't reproduce your problem. I run Windows 10 and Accordance 13.0.4

I just tried it but I can't reproduce your problem. I run Windows 10 and Accordance 13.0.4

Are you using an Israeli keyboard mapping? I do not think this problem exists if you are not using the Israeli mapping. 

Here are the steps:

1) Open a Tab with the Hebrew Tagged Text

2) Add the Targums Tagged Text as a parallel version

3) In the Search box right click and choose "Enter Command->TEXT"

4) In the Dialog box choose the Targums Tagged text

5) Begin typing a word (The first letter typed will used the default Accordance Keyboard mapping, but if you backspace and start typing again it will use the selected Israeli keyboard mapping). 

This problem has been 100% reproducible for me. I can restart Accordance, close and open new tabs, etc... and I have yet to see this not happen.

Note: I too am running windows 10 and Accordance 13.0.4

Edited by miketisdell

Are you using an Israeli keyboard mapping? I do not think this problem exists if you are not using the Israeli mapping. 

Here are the steps:

1) Open a Tab with the Hebrew Tagged Text

2) Add the Targums Tagged Text as a parallel version

3) In the Search box right click and choose "Enter Command->TEXT"

4) In the Dialog box choose the Targums Tagged text

5) Begin typing a word (The first letter typed will used the default Accordance Keyboard mapping, but if you backspace and start typing again it will use the selected Israeli keyboard mapping). 

This problem has been 100% reproducible for me. I can restart Accordance, close and open new tabs, etc... and I have yet to see this not happen.

Note: I too am running windows 10 and Accordance 13.0.4

I just tried one my test. If the system windows system language is set to Hebrew then the problem does not appear. But if the Windows system language is set to English and Accordance sets the language to Hebrew/Aramaic automatically then the problem does appear. 

• Like 1

I just tried one my test. If the system windows system language is set to Hebrew then the problem does not appear. But if the Windows system language is set to English and Accordance sets the language to Hebrew/Aramaic automatically then the problem does appear. 

Exactly thats why I could not reproduce your problem. Now I can. 

• Like 1

Exactly thats why I could not reproduce your problem. Now I can. 

Twenty years ago, as a joke, I wrote a small keyboard handler that would randomly choose a letter from the keys in the circle next to the key pressed to make it feel as if you were making a lot of typo's. Only one person on whose computer I installed this program ever figured out that he wasn't the one making the mistake. When he got suspicious, he held the key down and watched the key repeat with the occasional typo showing up in the repeated characters. Version 2 of my program did not activate when the keyboard repeat was happening. 

This bug felt a whole lot like that program. Because I touch type, I was not looking at the keys while I typed and I kept thinking that my finger slipped over and hit the wrong key, but when it kept happening I started to get suspicious. 

• Like 2

Only one person on whose computer I installed this program

What a prank! Just how large was your "sample size" of unwitting subjects?

There are fascinating psychological/anthropological conclusions to draw from your experiment and their reactions, but I don't want to take the thread off-topic....

What a prank! Just how large was your "sample size" of unwitting subjects?

There are fascinating psychological/anthropological conclusions to draw from your experiment and their reactions, but I don't want to take the thread off-topic....

I was about 30 people. The program was remotely executed through the network.