Image lost from User Tool

TYA

Where's my image, which I had in this user tool?  I've opened this tool multiple times in the past (but not in months), and the image was always there. My other tools haven't (yet!?!?*) lost any images. So why is my imaging now missing from this tool?  See attached please.

And this is what I find unsettling: I saved a backup of this User Tool elsewhere, just in case something bad happened to the original file operating in my "Oaktree" folder in Windows.  So I just went and checked my previously-saved version of this Tool, and the image was lost from there too.

Then, I opened the current Tool as it exists in Accordance (again, missing the image), and I re-imported the desired image into the tool, and updated it.  So now it has the image again.  Out of curiosity, I went back to my other folder where I manually save backups--a folder completely separate from the folders which run Accordance--and I clicked on that older version of my Tool, expecting it to open without the image, which I had just re-imported to the "live" version of the Tool in Accordance.  To my surprise, it now opened with the image in it, as though my updating the "live" version of the Tool also changed my backed-up file elsewhere.  Explain that please.  The whole purpose of having a backup is to restore something that gets lost or damaged.  But apparently, the backup isn't working as a true backup.  What's going on here Accordance (or anyone else who can explain)?

* Forgive this exclamation: yet!?!?  Accordance has lost too much stuff now (e.g. texts from Custom Groups,** and now images from User Tools), aside, of course, from the entire program crashing, falling apart, and countless other unresolved bugs.  My confidence is very low with Accordance right now, and please, this must change.

** Amazing timing that I should mention "texts from Custom Groups."  Literally, at the same time as I was writing this post--not even an hour before writing this post--Accordance dropped the BHS-T (your own text, to be clear) out of three of my Custom Groups.  Now I have to go back and manually add it and re-order it in those groups all over again.

I don't think I've ever gotten an answer to this particular issue (since I mentioned it many months ago), other than someone saying "maybe your file got corrupted" (or something like that), or "maybe your User Bible text got corrupted."  I answered that this happens to native Accordance texts too, so the latter isn't the case, and regarding the former, I say this: I don't have a problem with any other files on my computer getting corrupted--ever.  So if something is getting corrupted in the Accordance program, then it must be an Accordance-only issue--not something else on my machine.

post-35231-0-06262900-1580368733_thumb.jpg

Edited by TYA
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

TYA, I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Backing up your files to a separate location is always a good idea, but shouldn't try to restore or look at the backups simply by double-clicking them.  Accordance likely just saw it was the same tool you already had opened.  To restore from a backup, replace the original file (in User Tools, or wherever) with your backup and relaunch Accordance.

We had some issues a few years back with disappearing images, but this should only happen on an edit, not just opening it.  Are you sure your Set Tool Display preferences weren't changed to Pictures: None?

Also, of all of the thousands+ users (and thousands+ bug reports I've read), I have no memory of anyone noting a My Group has been changed, except for your reports.  Given that report, and this one, and as we've noted many times that you have a highly customized machine that does a lot of manipulation in the background, are you sure you don't have some sort of software that would go in and change some Accordance files, or some macro modifying Accordance that has gone awry?

Backing up your files to a separate location is always a good idea, but should try to restore or look at the backups simply by double-clicking them.

Can you correct / complete this statement above, please?  It doesn't make any sense.

Accordance likely just saw it was the same tool you already had opened.  To restore from a backup, replace the original file (in User Tools, or wherever) with your backup and relaunch Accordance.

Do you mean, after I open the Tool and see that my picture is missing, I should first close Accordance completely, then delete that Tool from the "Oaktree" folder, then copy and paste my backup file into the Oaktree folder, and then reopen Accordance, and try to view the Tool?

Or, will I have to re-import the tool all over again following the steps above?

Are you sure your Set Tool Display preferences weren't changed to Pictures: None?

Yes, I'm sure.  I never changed the settings.  And I just double-checked.  Picture is set to "Medium."  Again, I never changed it.

Also, of all of the thousands+ users (and thousands+ bug reports I've read), I have no memory of anyone noting a My Group has been changed, except for your reports.  Given that report, and this one, and as we've noted many times that you have a highly customized machine that does a lot of manipulation in the background, are you sure you don't have some sort of software that would go in and change some Accordance files, or some macro modifying Accordance that has gone awry?

No macro that modifies anything.  Again, I've never had the problem of settings suddenly getting lost like this (over and over again) in any other program--Bible software program, or otherwise.

Again, it is individual versions--sometimes Accordance ones (e.g. BHS-T), and sometimes User Bibles--which occasionally (once a month or so?) suddenly disappear.  They don't disappear from the whole program, just from the Custom Group.

My macros don't affect anything related to Accordance files.  I'm 100% sure of it.  They are just "dumb" macros, which press simple shortcuts to open windows / panes, erase fields, etc.  They don't do anything with folders or files.

Sorry, missing an important 'not' in that first sentence (corrected below):

Backing up your files to a separate location is always a good idea, but shouldn't try to restore or look at the backups simply by double-clicking them.

Do you mean, after I open the Tool and see that my picture is missing, I should first close Accordance completely, then delete that Tool from the "Oaktree" folder, then copy and paste my backup file into the Oaktree folder, and then reopen Accordance, and try to view the Tool?

Or, will I have to re-import the tool all over again following the steps above?

The former is correct, just paste the backup back into the original folder (likely in Documents\Accordance Files\User Tools), and reopen Accordance.

For everything else, we'll have to just keep monitoring the problems.  As we've told you many times, TYA, you experience a huge slew of issues that no other user ever reports.  (You do also experience some common ones, which we reply to and get fixed ASAP, and we are very appreciative of these reports).  You also do a lot of customization to your computer.   There is almost certainly something conflicting (or multiple things conflicting) in your setup, but as yet we have not found it yet.  It is not Windows 7, as Accordance runs great on my Windows 7 machine.